Ideas Needed For A Really Special Dinner In Victoria

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents will be in Victoria for their 50th wedding anniversay and I would like to arrange a really special dinner for them. Can anyone recommend a really wonderful place besides the Sooke Harbour House? I haven't ruled that out yet, but am looking for other options as well. They like all different types of food and are very knowledgable about wine, so it would help if the restaurant had a great wine list. Transportation is not a problem, as they will have a car. Thanks very much!
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:18 AM

We just celebrated our 35th in Victoria a week ago. One meal was at Sooke Harbor House. The setting and view were stellar. HOWEVER, if your parents have been married 50 years, they are older than I am. I had trouble finding anything on the menu I wanted to eat--regardless of price. Finally settled on duck breast which I don't care for. One of the items was skate wing -- give me a break! The other special dinner was in the dining room at the Empress. Service was excellent. So was the food. It sounds like a cliche, but it was a nice place. Don't tell the staff it's an anniversary unless you want more attention and chocolate desert than an aging tummy can take!
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Have you thought about the dining room at the Aerie? Great view, great food, and slightly closer to Victoria than Sooke.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:37 PM

I have an absolutely wonderful idea, but it depends on the day of the week...what date are you considering??
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Amygirl - The actual date of their anniversary is the 19th of May (a
Wednesday) but I'm a little flexible with the date for a surprise if something great comes up. You've peaked my curiosity now What did you have in mind?
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:53 PM

The Carden Street Cafe is an absolute jem of a restaurant located in Brentwood Bay which is about a half hour drive from Victoria. (very close to Butcharts Gardens). They don't advertise anywhere it is all by word of mouth, but the food (and the wine list) is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! They are only open Thursday to Sunday 5:00 - 8:00pm. I highly recommend this little restaurant which by no means is a formal affair, for a meal you won't regret....but, as they are popular if you are at all interested, you'd better get on to it for the dates you are considering. Phone 250-544-1475. Your best bet to get them is to phone when they are open, otherwise they have an answering machine. Good Luck!!!
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:01 PM

I second the Aeria Resort, although a a bit far from Victoria up the Malahat Mtn. Ate lunch in dining room one day, view fantastic. There is another restaurant in Victoria about a block away from the Coho ferry dock that we ate at, but cannot remember the name. Restaurant is in (what was) an old, white victorian home. Food suburb and quite gourmet.
Francie