Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travel between Montreal and Quebec City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please share your advice in the best (cheapest, too) way to travel between Montreal and QuebecCity. Are there any discount small airlines that fly this route? I checked with Canada Air, and was shocked with the price.(part of the reason for the high price is that there is not a Saturday night stay.)
The other two possibilities are train or car rental. both have pros and cons. Train price is reasonable, but we have some 3 hours to wait and have to haul our luggage from airport to train station. Rental car is more convenient , but cost more, plus parking problem to think about.
Please post your opinion. Thank you.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:17 PM

It is really too short a distance to consider flying between Montreal and Quebec City. Driving time is about 2.5 hours. If your budget allows for a car rental, then that would be most convenient. The train would be OK, but it all depends on your situation. You could even consider some type of shuttle service or the Bus but it all depends on where you are going in the two cities and what kind of activities you would like to do, who you are travelling with, etc.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:36 PM

I don't think there's direct bus service between Dorval Airport and Quebec City, so you'll need to switch buses in Montreal city center, adding to travel time.

Renting a car is the best way to get there, other than flying.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:38 PM

A friend of mine here in the US rented a car for about $22/day through one of those web sites that you input an amount and the site tells you if any companies will accept that amount (maybe Priceline?). Maybe you can get a deal like that up in Canada.
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:53 AM

Driving from Montreal to QC is quite easy - once you get out of Montreal, you almost don't even need to turn the steering wheel - it's that straight a shot. As for parking, QC has a large underground paring area in the heart of the old city. I don't think parking would be a serious consern.
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the above input.
I did some checking: after we arrive in Montreal airport, we can take the shuttle bus from airport to the downtown bus terminal. Then walk to the Gare Centrale where we can board the train to Quebec City. So I guess it's not too hard to pull the luggage from the bus terminal to the Gare Centrale.

The advantages of taking the train is that we can relax and enjoy the scenery enroute, and no parking worries; but not as convenient as having a car to explore .

Has anyone travelled to & from montreal Dorval airport and Quebec city via rail?

Old May 14th, 2004, 07:19 AM

It is sort of a toss-up. Since I don't really like to drive, I've done the train. It's relaxing, although very little scenery to speak of (although I discovered the oddity that a lot of people in Quebec seem to have pools in their backyards).

I guess it depends on how much of a hurry you are in. Driving would be cheaper probably, but the train was more relaxing
Old May 15th, 2004, 12:28 AM

..nancy..just a quick warning..i noticed that you posted that a car would allow you to explore..the highway from montreal to quebec is a multilane thoroughfare which does not lend it self to any exploring though it is fast and convenient..north of quebec city there are opportunities to explore..i would make decision re car or train based on convenience only unless i planned to drive n. of quebec city.