Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to drive around PEI if you do not make stops?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:42 PM
k

Can this be done in a day? Can anyone tell me what the distance is?<BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Craig

I guess, in theory, you could drive from one end of the island and back in a circular route in one day but I am not sure why you would want to. You are probably looking at 300-400 miles round trip, depending on how and where you go. The roads are ok but not really designed for speed.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:51 AM
k

Thank you Craig for your help. I am not sure if we will have time to see all of the island.<BR> Do you know how long it takes to get to PEI from New Glasgow, NS via the ferry? The same via the Confederation bridge?

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Tanya

The ferry departs Nova Scotia from Caribou (about 20 minutes from New Glasgow). The ferry takes approximately 1-1.5 hours.<BR><BR>The bridge from New Glasgow would be about a 3-3.5 hour drive. You can go up through the Sunrise Trail which is a very scenic drive but expect it to be a little slower.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:20 PM
k

Thanks so much Tanya. As always you have been very helpful. <BR>I am afraid I may not have allowed enough time to do justice to Nova Scotia & PEI. We have 2 weeks and we are flying in and out of Boston. I do not have any idea how long it will take to get from Boston to NS?<BR>Would I save any time taking a ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth or would you recommend taking one from Saint John? or would driving be faster?<BR>Can you please tell me when Canada's Thanksgiving is?<BR>Thank you.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Tanya

Boston is a full day of driving from Nova Scotia and by that I mean more than 12 hours. The Saint Stephen/Callais border crossing is approximately 6 hours and then about another two or three hours to Bar Harbour. The alternative of taking the CAT from Yarmouth to Bar Harbour would be approx. 4 hours to Yarmouth from Halifax driving and then 1.5 hour crossing. Not sure about Saint John? Maybe someone else can help here?<BR><BR>Canada Thanksgiving is late this year - October 14th.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:29 PM
K

Thanks again Tanya. I really appreciate your help.<BR>It sounds as if taking the cat from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth would save us anywhere from 2 to 3 hours. <BR>I am really thinking the first part of our trip we will spend on NS. and then go to PEI. When we leave there we will drive across the bridge and drive back to Boston.<BR>What would you recommend seeing on PEI?<BR>We are more into scenery and not so much into museums etc.<BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Tanya

It has been a few years since I have been to PEI. Charlottetown is a lovely city - home of confederation! Out towards Brackley Beach, Cavendish, etc. is very scenic. If you are travelling in the fall, there won't be a lot open (ie in Cavendish they have lots of theme parks,etc.). PEI is truly a summer tourism spot, however, you will enjoy your visit. Perhaps someone from PEI can help you out here.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:40 AM
k

Thank you Tanya.<BR>We are looking forward to seeing PEI. But I am going to plan our trip mostly for NS as it appears most things will be open while we are there. I am looking forward to the fall colors that we will see, hopefully, on NS.<BR>What would you recommend as far as scenic drives on NS?

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Tanya

The Cabot Trail is an absolute must and will be breathtaking with the fall colors. You will need no less than 2 full days to explore. I would recommend you stay in Baddeck for two nights. Call the Telegraph House and ask them about the MacRae House. It is a private residence with 3 bedrooms. Very quaint. $169/night plus tax. It is not advertised for rent but you have to be referred. Everything is there that you need. From Baddeck you can do the trail in about 5-6 hours. This year we did it counterclock wise going to Ingonish, Pleasant Bay, Cheticamp, etc. Do visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum.<BR><BR>Other than that, all of Nova Scotia will be lovely that time of year. The drive through the Annapolis Valley to Yarmouth is very enjoyable. The Pumpkin People will probably be out in full attire around the Kentville area. Mahone Bay also has a scarecrow festival in mid-October.<BR><BR>When you enter Nova Scotia, check with our many tourist bureaus for information.<BR><BR>Hope you enjoy your trip! Let me know if I can be of any other assistance.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:15 PM
K

Tanya you have been such a great help.<BR>Thank you.<BR>We really like staying where we can have a view of either the ocean or in this case the Bras d'Or Lake. I don't know if the house you are talking of has that? I am thinking of staying at Dundee Resort since it has a golf course.However, my husband has not decided whether or not he will be taking his golf clubs. He is seriously thinking about doing so as he has heard that PEI has some great golf courses.<BR>I just am not sure if 2 weeks time frame will allow him time to play golf and still allow us enough time to see PEI and Nova Scotia.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Tanya

No the house in Baddeck doesn't have a veiw of the water but truely is a lovely old home. Keltic Lodge is breathtaking and of course has an 18-hole golf course. Dundee is nice as well. In Baddeck there is Bell Bay, a championship 18-hole course. You might want to try the Inverary Inn if staying in Baddeck. Two weeks including driving time from the US should be plenty. PEI is a very small island and two full days should be plenty there (but that is only my opinion).<BR><BR>Hope this helps!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 02:38 PM
K

Thank you so much Tanya. As always you have been a wealth of information! In fairness to other posters who would benefit from your knowledge I will continue this on the NS post as I do have a few more questions. <BR>I am still waiting for my NS doers and dreamers guide (or whatever it is called) I requested it 3 weeks ago as soon as we decided on this trip.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Tanya

Send me your address and I send along a Doers and Dreamers myself. Email @ [email protected] I work in the same bldg. as tourism.<BR><BR>