Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving from Boston to PEI: Best route? Take ferry from Bar Harbor?

Jul 15th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning a car trip from Boston to PEI mid August. I called PEI tourist bureau---I was told that the trip would take around 17 hours! Ouch!!!
Has anyone done this trip? If we go ahead and do it, we'd like to make the trip there and back more than an ordeal.
Are there any well spaced stopping off places of interest?
Does it make any sense to take the ferry one or both ways from/to Bar Harbor?
Thank you
B
Jul 15th, 2005, 10:21 AM
ltt

you don't say how long you have.
i would drive from boston to acadia national park and spend 2 nights there. then i'd drive onto saint john, new brunswick for 2 nights. take the ferry from there over to digby, nova scotia and spend as long as you can in that province. then you could always take the CAT ferry from yarmouth to bar harbor and drive on home.
Jul 15th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

To Itt; Thank you for your response. We plan about 7-9 days total. I think we'd like to maximize out time in PEI. How long a drive is it from St John to PEI? How many nights do justice to PEI?
Best wishes
Jul 15th, 2005, 01:07 PM

The Cat Ferry will not make sense if you're going to PEI and not southern NS.

You can always stop at Acadia National Park enroute, if you haven't been there. Saint John, NB is also a pretty city to stop at, and go visit Fundy National Park.

BTW, if you drive straight, using I-95 until Bangor, ME, it's only 596 miles. Not going to take 17 hours.
Jul 15th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Hi:

I just ran Boston to Charlottetown through MAPQUEST and its about 640 miles, almost all of which is multilane highway. While I have never done the Boston-Charlottown drive I have driven to both while living in Fredericton and would put it at under 11 hours of continous driving.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...town&2s=pe&2z=

Z
Aug 6th, 2005, 12:25 PM

I would try to get to Saint John the first day - It is about 2.5 hours from Bangor, Maine. Get a good night's rest and head out first thing to PEI - It is about a 4 hour drive. Get to PEI by noon - hit the beach or the golf course finish by six and have a lobster supper with a little white wine or Mooshead beer

What part of the island are you staying on