Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do I get from Halifax to Bangor, Maine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Laura

Just found out our airlines does NOT fly out of Halifax so we are returning home via Bangor, Maine. Can someone please tell me the quickest way to get from Halifax to Bangor? Our plane leaves quite early in the a.m. so we will probably head that way the night before.<BR><BR>Thanks so much!!!

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 12:40 PM
jake

You realize that it is 650 km by road from Halifax to Bangor, an 8 or 9 hour drive? I think that you will find that there is no practical way to get from Halifax to Bangor, except by flying via Boston. You would be better off thinking about flying from Halifax to Boston, and returning home from there.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Susan

I'm assuming you'll have a car? Where do you drop it off? You can take a ferry from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia to Bar Harbor, Maine. I think that's close to Bangor. The website is www.catferry.com. <BR><BR>We were in Nova Scotia in September and took a ferry from Digby, Nova Scotia to St. John, NB. We then then drove to Bangor from there. We had booked a night in St. Andrews, NB (lovely little town) and then drove through Bangor on our way to the Eastern Townships in Quebec. <BR><BR>The ferries aren't cheap, but it's faster than driving. I'm not sure how long it would take to drive to Yarmouth though.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:02 AM
Tanya

I agree with the previous post, you will need a full day to get to Bangor from Halifax. The quickest way is crossing the St. Stephen/Calais border and then taking what they call the airline route to Bangor. This is the most direct. You will have divided highway to the New Brunswick border and part way through NB but not sure how far.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 08:52 AM
Laura

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I feel like quite the fool -- I was booking our 2003 vacation, using frequent flyer miles. Our trip from Oklahoma begins in Quebec City and ends on Nova Scotia. I was unaware that AA didn't fly out of Halifax any more so when booking I asked where they suggested we return from and Bangor was the suggestion. For some reason I was thinking Bangor was much easier to get to. Instead of hanging up and looking at a map before booking, I went ahead and booked the return through Bangor. It wasn't until I got off the phone that I realized how far and inconvenient it would be.<BR><BR>Oh well, this will add a new twist to our trip. <BR><BR>Again, I appreciate the responses. I knew someone would be able to help!!!