Road Trip - Mtl to Halifax

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I want to take a 10-day road trip from Montreal to Halifax this summer. Good idea? Best time to go? Any must-see's along the way? Has anyone done this trip? All suggestions/advice welcomed and appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:18 AM
BAK

First, yes it is a good idea.

But can yout allus a bit more about yourself, whether you'll be travelling with other people, what your interests are, and so on.

For instance, do you need to know about great golf courses, or are you going to want to sit on a dock with paints and a blank canvas? Is history important to you?

Are you already familiar with Quebec City, so you can just drive past?

I'd suggest a big circle. South from Montreal to the bottom of Maine. Up the Maine coast, stopping at Boothbay and Bar Harbor, and Acadia National Park.

You could take a ferry to Nova Scotia, or keep driving into New Brunswick -- if you like history, visit Campabello Island on the way.

Ten days isn't vey long; you'd need to decide between the south shore of Nova Scoitaor Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail, visit Halifax, visit PEI and then head back trhough New Brunswick.

But again, we need to know more aboutyou to advise on either going up the NB coast to Cambellton, or going across the province to Fredericton and up the St. John River VAlley into Quebec.

But yes, ten days is fine, and it is a good idea. It's only the details to work out now.

BAK
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I'm new at this. I'm a 30 yr old single woman who will be travelling by myself or with 1 friend. I'm into history, landscapes, and the "quaintness" I saw in Anne of Green Gables (corny, I know). I'm completely open to the route. I have no clue, no preferences. So lay it on me!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I should say that the goal of the trip is definitely to explore the Black history of Nova Scotia/Halifax, so that might make a difference as well.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Should we assume that you reside in Montreal? If so, you probably have your own sense of the nearby area and immediate path when embarking on your journey.

Even so, I'll state that if I were making that trip in 2007, I would drive along the north shore of the St. Lawrence from Montreal to Quebec City and then cross over and drive along the south shore of the St. Lawrence to about Riviere-du-Loup, before cutting down through Edmundston, Fredericton, Moncton, Truro, etc.

Given your specific interests, I would get to Halifax as promptly as this route allows (although I would take time to travel the smaller, slower highways through the towns along the St. Lawrence vs. the faster freeway nearby ~ but alternate between the two as desired).

Hopefully you'll have all of your ducks in a row in terms of what spots in Halifax you'll want to research, and ideally you'll have enough time for comfort during these pursuits.

Things I liked most about eastern Quebec were the impressive churches in many of the small towns. (I'm not even religious, but I had to stop in awe a time or two)

There is a nice new highway between Fredricton and Moncton, NB... but be sure you have lots of gas leaving Fredericton... because much of my path through there was spent wondering when I was going to find the next station!

My favorite thing about Nova Scotia is the Bay of Fundy... and if not pressed for time as you enter Nova Scotia, I recommend taking the drive from the Springhill, NS area down to Parrsboro (shore of Bay of Fundy) and then driving along the water to Truro before going on to Halifax by freeway.

The most awesome single sights anywhere in the area might be Hopewell Cape, NB (which would be OFF of your beaten path, and only worth doing if it doesn't cost you research time) or, of course, Cape Breton, in the far north of NS ... not sure you can make time.

IF driving alone or with just one other person... you should probably shoot for staying in ONE spot along the way and, geographically speaking, perhaps Edmundston, Grand Falls, or Woodstock, NB make the most sense.

I stayed in Fredericton, but drove pretty late into the night to do so. If you get an early start, that might be a good target for you.

If, SAY, you left on a Tuesday morning... and arrived in Halifax on Wednesday night, that would afford plenty of time to do your research and to see the Halifax area (at the very least) before returning home.

TRAVEL NOTE: Internet maps show that the very fastest path for the trip would be through the USA in Maine, so do that if you feel you must cut corners to allow enough time. I just explained what I would do, and have done, on that very drive. (technically mine was from Sherbrooke, QC... to Trois Rivieres, and then as described)

Two closing thoughts:

If you come up with any spots you REALLY want to visit enroute, do them on the WAY there - to get them out of the way and not sacrifice them to making time later.

otherwise, travel as efficiently as possible on the way there, and then get your intended research done and THEN improvise with whatever time remains available.

Enjoy!

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

WOW!!! NorthwestMale, thank you so so so so much! I really appreciate your advice. I'm really excited about this trip now! Thanks so much for the detailed response and all your advice!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:54 AM

If exploring the black history of Nova Scotia, then the Black Cultural Centre located on the outskirts of Dartmouth is a must.

Citadel Hill, a focal point of the city of Halifax, was built by the Maroons who were brought here from Jamaica and later released from slavery. Some remained in NS and others went to Sierra Leone.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:01 AM
BAK

I found my map, and it's interensting what you see when you actually look.

Following the St. Lawrence takes you north, in addition to east, and going south from Montreal and then turning left / east has something to be said for it.

Remembering that if you live in Montreal, it's easy enough to take lots of other weekend trips to Quebec City and another 100-150 miles beyond, and it's easy enough to go into Vermont and New Hampshire for a weekend... to me, the goal will be to get at least 200 miles fromhome before slowing down to look at interesting thisngs.

Assuming ten dyas means a weeked, with eekends on either end...

Leave Montreal early Thursday morning, head into Vermont, heading for Burlington. Head across New Hampshire, and make Portland Maine your destination for Thursday night.

Friday morning in Portland, including a boat ride on Casco Bay. There's a municipal ferry that is inexpensive and just as good, I bet, as toruist boats, visiting various islands where people live.

Friday, drive up to Boothbay Harbor, along the coast.

Now the days get vague, depending on your schedule. But, based on your interests in quaint and landscapes, and based on experience, you want to see Rockland, visiting some of the outlet stores, wander around some little towns right on the shoreline, and spend a night in Bar Harbor, either before or after spending a few hours driving around Acadia National Park.

Next day, onto Campabello Island, (Canaddian) where a US president had a summer home, and then by ferry boats back to the mainland, near St. Andrews.

You can end up seeing the Hopewel;l Rocks and sleeping in Moncton this night.

Next day, bridge to Prince Edward Island, drive around and see "quaint" and take the ferry off of PEI to Nova Scotia.

Next day to the Nova Scotia ATlantic Coast, and down into Halifax.

STay there a couple of nights, with day trips south to Chester, Lunenburg, Liverpool.

Head home up the shore of Northumberland Stait, ending up in Cambellton or Dalhousie that night, or even in Quebec, near Mont Joi or Rimouski.

Long days drive home, on a mix of wide highways and take some time to go off themain raod into little towns, including the woodcarving capital of Canads. St. Jean Port Joli, east of Quebec City.

BAK
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:16 AM

ushana I have to completly agree with Northwestmale. He did a great job as to the way to go. I have too taken that trip many a time and always gone with the Trans Canada. However I come from Ontario about half way between London and Hamilton. It takes me 19 hrs to drive from here to Summerside PEI. I know he gave an example about leaving Tues morn and arrive in Halifax Wed evening. I could see that if you were to spend the night somewhere, if not it should take you about 10 hrs or so to get to Halifax. However leave in the early morning to avoid traffic and get the most out of your drive. I would go between June and August. When going through NB try to see the Hartland Bridge (world longest covered bridge)& Magnetic Hill. I am also in my 30's and I Love Anne of G.G. so no it is not corny. If you like Anne Murray her home town is Spring Hill NS. You can find this not too far from the NB/NS border. If you plan to visit P.E.I. may I give you some info, visit NS first as it cost to leave PEI and the less expensive way to go is the bridge. Not only that it makes the most sence as your goal is Halifax and you should go there first to make sure you get what you went for. You can take the ferry from NS at no cost to PEI. Then you can cut time off of your trip home also because you will not be going through NS up and around to NB. Either way you go HAVE FUN!!!!