Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 Day Round Trip including Halifax and PEI

Old Feb 27th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We fly into Halifax mid June and have 3 days before flying out again. The four of us are hiring a car and want to include Prince Edward Island. Any suggestions for the route, the highlights and accommodation on this round trip ? . Would we need to book accommodation ahead of time ? Any suggestions would be welcome
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 05:49 AM

Hi SuziePick

I noticed you've changed your plans from your previous post: "12 days available to us at the beginning of June to drive from New York to Halifax. We are hoping to include New Hampshire, Maine, Nova Scoatia, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Montreal and perhaps see Niagra Falls from the Canadian side." Sensible move.

Is what you are suggesting now: landing in Halifax, leave 3 days later and want to include PEI in those 3 days? Well, you COULD do this if you drive to PEI straightaway but do realize you're making a choice here to focus on PEI and NOT Nova Scotia.

What I'm saying here is that visiting Halifax itself (strolling through Halifax's Victorian Gardens and Waterfront, touring the Citadel, hiking in Point Pleasant Park) and visiting even some nearby-to-Halifax attractions such as Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, Chester, Mahone Bay and Annapolis Royal in Nova Scotia easily fills 3 days (and that's rushed; I'd spend more!). Visiting Charlottetown, the Anne-of-Green-Gables house, enjoying the coastal roads, with maybe a detour to the Hopewell Rocks plus the drive to-and-fro Halifax, even moving at a fast pace, is 3 days (more for me!) right there.

From your previous post, I remember you're visiting from afar (Australia?), so I know the desire is to "see it all"... but in my opinion, I think zooming through it, one misses some of the joy of Maritime Canada.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

I was a bit frightened that we were being too ambitious. PEI is included because my sister is an Anne of GG fan. Logically I know that if we stuck to Nova Scotia we'd have a better and much more relaxed trip. I'll show her the distances on the Google maps and see what she says. Yes we are still scouting up the New England coast and across to Quebec and down to Montreal by car and then flying to Halifax for this part of the trip. The travel agent organised this to avoid our arriving in Montreal at the same time as the Grand Prix and being able to drop the hire car there. It's all a bit convoluted but locked in now. Thanks Daniel for telling me what any sensible person would have known - even an Australian!