Halifax and Prince Edward advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2019, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We continue to debate between a trip to Quebec City, though we have been there, combined with some exploration of towns in Quebec. But that has been difficult since it appears we'd have to do a lot of 1-2 stays which we don't like, unless there are enough day trips from Quebec City. Still open to recommendations. We prefer having no more than 3-4 places for 3-4 nights each.

BUT, we are also again exploring a combo of Halifax and Prince Edward Island, possibly just flying to PE from Halifax rather than driving across Nova Scotia. Trying to cut down on road time.

If any of you have some thoughts and/or specific recommendations, we'd be very appreciative.

We have about 17-18 days plus flight days.

Thanks.

Mark
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your other post left me with mixed feelings... (but you've redeemed yourself somehow, with this one).

(* and that has zero to do with how you've conducted yourself here, so don't worry)

I too loved Quebec City, but I love Nova Scotia even more... and I sorta enjoy lengthy driving trips, SO it is from this direction that I respond (with I don't exactly know just WHAT quite yet).

I... could be fascinated by some of the smaller towns in Quebec, but I'd surely prepare myself for (not being able to communicate well with anyone, since I don't know French)... YET I don't know either just in which directions I'd search for towns good enough to make for nearby destinations from QC. (I liked QC enough so that I would spend more days there if I got anywhere near again)

I LOVED the paths along the St. Lawrence River both east and west of QC... (south side going east)... on the smaller roads which go through the towns there. Every town seemed to have a big, elaborate church which may indeed be the center of much of each community. (I'm not religious, but I still noticed and liked those churches being so significant)

IF instead of QC, one were to visit Halifax, there are a handful of 'day trips' suitable from there.

Your other post suggested that you'd be willing to have a night or two away from home base, and that and Halifax matches well with Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail. (you'd probably select Baddeck, NS as an overnight spot for a couple of nights)

MAYbe on another journey away from Halifax... (or a sort-of 'continuation' of the Cape Breton side trip)... you might ferry from Pictou to PEI... and later drive off the island and go down and visit Hopewell Cape, NB before heading back toward Halifax.

Still another side-trip could bring you to Burntcoat Head in NS, where you can time your visit with low tide, and go and walk for hundreds of yards out on the ocean floor. (the footing is much more 'rock' than sand, as much of any sand would be washed away by the fierce tides a couple of times each day)

Another side trip from Halifax would be to the south, along the Atlantic coast, where Lunenburg and Mahone Bay await you. (Lunenburg is more touristy and Mahone Bay is more laid-back and scenic).

Either when returning from the same side trip, or another brief one would be dinner and scenery at Peggy's Cove near the lighthouse.

So, in brief, Halifax is chock full of potential side trips to interesting and well-traveled places that are in many cases just the right distances away from home base.

As NS isn't on the way to anywhere, the roads there tend to be more gentle and less-traveled once you get away from Halifax.

You certainly have plenty of TIME allowed, and it isn't completely unheard of that you might first go to QC for whatever reasons, and then fly to Halifax.

(LOL - I wouldn't mind for myself 2 1/2 weeks to begin in QC and later end in QC and driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive to all of those destinations... any leftover time I created would be allocated to north-eastern New Brunswick, to which I have yet to do justice)

IF indeed you evolve to ferry from Pictou, NS to PEI, and then drive to Hopewell Cape, and then back to Halifax... I suggest the peaceful road along the Fundy shore between Parrsboro and Truro. (and IF you really want to do something unique... schedule a night (or two?) at the lighthouse at Cape D'or, NS! - I never knew of it as of a year ago, but I found it, and stayed there one night late last spring, and I really loved it.)

(* it can take some walking, but the host there, named Darcy, can perhaps drive you down {and later up} the final trail to the lighthouse if you schedule it with him)

Hope this helps... OR at least inspires you to make your trip more clear in your own thoughts.