Hotel recommendation - Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Toronto with 3 other women in their late forties. Please recommend a clean, centrally located hotel in downtown Toronto. We want to walk to as many sights as possible. As we will only be there for 2 or 3 days, what do you consider the "must-dos"? I would also appreciate recommendations for moderately priced Italian restaurants. Thanks
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:18 AM
BAK

If you look through the forum, including clicking on those "previous 50" links at the bottom, you'll learn lots about Toronto hotels.

There's two broad interesting areas. Bloor and Yonge, Bloor and Avenue Road is one, and Queen and Yonge, Queen to Spadina is another.

It's easy to take the subway from one area to the other, or, with four of you, just take a cab.

All the name brand hotels are clean, well managed, etc., because, among other things, they are compteting with each other. But I'd avoid any Howard Johnson's, as the exception.

And various forum visitors are reporting bargain prices via Priceline, etc., so price might dicate where you stay.

The two lowest priced (except for special deals at other places) are The Strathcona and The Hotel Victoria, both south of King Street, one on Yonge (V) and one on York (S)

Kit Kat and Club Lucky (same owner), Piero's, any of several Il Fornello locations, Friscos, and East Side MArio's are all moderate priced, good, Italian restaurants in the entertainment district, all close to the Holiday Inn on King, which is a fine hotel in an excellent tourist location. But there's a doxzen more good Italian restaurtants, at least, all on the subway route or close to whatever hotel you pick.
BAK
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Amy

I'd give a two thumbs up to Pantages; lovely place, great sheets, good space and a very easy location--I walked my little tootsies off going to all the main sites. The staff was very nice, too--albeit the guy on the video in the elevator needs to GO!

My favourite things to do included the CN Tower (of course) and then walking to the Fort and then going along the Quay; the Music Garden and the mini-wetlands were two high points there. Taking a ferry across to the islands and taking in the Hockey Hall of Fame were part of that great day as well.

I also liked the Black Creek Pioneer village, accessible by public transportation (with the help of a really nice lady, I must admit...I'm afraid I couldn't give directions on how to get there myself!) The Bata Shoe Museum is also fun, and ROM is quite the collection.

I had five days and included a day at Niagara; there was so much more I wanted to do! (Oh, and I enjoyed shopping at the Queen Street West Lush!)
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Amy

By the way, if you'd like to see a few pix before you go, copy and paste
http://community.webshots.com/user/missalg
and click the Toronto/Niagara album. I had such a good time--hope you all do too!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 06:00 PM

Any particular price range or hotel features you looking for?
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 04:04 AM
gdm

We always use priceline auction site when visiting Toronto. I recommend bidding for a 3* hotel: you will almost certainly "win" one of the Marriott properties downtown. We generally pay $35-37 U.S. a night including taxes. In summer that price will rise to 45-55 a night (we paid 56 a night for the Westin in August.)The drawback: you can't cancel your reservation unless you buy insurance from priceline. Visit http://www.biddingfortravel.com for more info on how to use priceline.
Visit Torontolife.com, nowtoronto.com TOronto.com for lots of restaurant and things to do info.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:21 AM

My first time in Toronto will be in May - But a visit to the Famous People Players is on the VERY TOP of my list. I am so SURPRISED no one has mentioned it. (??!!)
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:21 AM

Sorry, I forgot to add this:

www.fpp.org
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:07 AM
BAK

About Famous people Players ... a grown friend and a 9 year old were there over the summer and found teh show wonderful. It's a good choice.

BAK