Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Horseback riding in Jasper NP- Anyone know a reputable outfitter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
Going to be in Jasper next weekend July 23-26 and would like to go horseback riding. Has anyone out there done this? Can you suggest a reputable company to go with? I do know about the stables on the way to Pyramid Lake but don't know anything about their reputation.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Topping again, hoping someone out there has some experience with this.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Hello Atilla,

I wish I could be of some use to you, but unfortunately I haven't gone horseback riding in the Rockies.

Still, I'm puzzled as to what you mean by the company's "reputation." It seems to me that, if you're only planning to go out for a couple of hours (as opposed to an overnight or a weeklong trip), there is not too much at stake.

I'm trying to visualize the worst case scenarios you might face.

* Although it's unlikely, there's a finite chance you could fall and be injured. You might want to check if all of the guides have St. John's Ambulance or other appropriate first aid training. It might not do any harm to wear a helmet as well.

* You could be overcharged. Again, if it's just for a couple of hours, I don't see the worst case scenario being all that bad. Still, if you want to compare prices, a few other stables in the Jasper vicinity are listed at this website:

http://www.discoverjasper.com/ToursA...idesPackTrips/

* The company may ill treat the horses that it rents to the public. I sure wouldn't like to ride a horse that I believed was given anything less than good care, but I'm not sure how one would check on that. At least you could look out for obvious signs, like ribs sticking out shockingly and stuff like that.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy your ride.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Judy for your time. You are right, there isn't much at stake to go for a couple of hours. I'm looking for reassurance for the exact reasons that you mentioned (injuries, ill treatment of the horses, etc.) I know that other travellers have had bad experiences with things like white water rafting. Of course rafting can be a much more dangerous adventure, but you can never be sure who is operating these tours and what their expertise level really is. Thank you for the other links.