Round trip, Salmon Arm to Hope

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WE are planning on driving down HIghway 1 to see the Fraser Canyon and were planning on doing it in one day. We have now decided to stay over in Hope. We are thinking of returning on Highway 3 and then up 5A. Would this be the most scenic way to go?
Vorkuta are you there? And would it make any difference which way around we do it?
Would highway 1 be better heading north or heading south? Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:21 PM

Highway #1 is good in either direction as long as the sun won't be in your eyes. Returning on the Coquihalla to Merrit and then 5A will not be nearly as scenic and a better choice would be to take #3 to Penticton and then 97 and 97A to Salmon Arm. It's an hour or two longer than the other route but much more interesting. You could get caught up in heavy traffic in Kelowna but that's the worst of it.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Gary, thanks very much. I actually wasn't planning on driving up the Coquihalla, but rather Hwy 3 over to Princeton and then up 5A from there all the way up to Kamloops.
But if going further on 3 over to 97A is more scenic, then that's the way we'll go. We want to make the most of our trip.
Can't wait!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Ditto to everything GaryA says. If you've got the time, then highways 3 and 97 are more scenic than 5A. You'll be passing through prime fruit-growing country, so be prepared to stock up on cherries, peaches, apricots, you name it...there will be many roadside fruit stands for you to choose from. And in the Kelowna area there are loads of wineries (spelling?) where you can go on a tour and maybe knock back a sample or two.

Since writing to you the other day I've been thinking a lot about Walhachin. When the weather cools a little (I'm definitely a cool weather person) I think I'll take a drive up there and try once more to find the ruins of the irrigation flume and the swimming pool.

Hope you have a great trip! Do let us know how it goes.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Ok that settles it!!! We can't resist all that fresh fruit!! Thanks very much to both of you. We will take 97.
And I will let you know how we make out.
Vorkuta, good luck on your future trip to Walhachin.