Search

Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon

Hi

My fiancee and I are trying to plan our honeymoon for July 2004. We are from the UK.
Looking for somewhere that will have decent weather and be very romantic. Would want somewhere reasonably quiet but with great restaurants as we both love eating out.
I've no idea where to start in Canada - can anyone help with some suggestions?

Thanks

Martin
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:50 AM

I wish I knew how long you inteded to be here and if you are comfortable renting a car!
The East Coast is beautiful and less busy than some of the major city areas, however in the summer it does draw many tourists. You could rent a car and drive through Newfoundland (the people are wonderful here, so inviting). The coastline is gorgeous and there are many opportunities to hike and bike. Seafood is the signature food of this area.
Of course, if you like theatre and you are also interested in renting a car you could do the Shaw Festival in Niagara on the Lake (and visit Niagara Falls while you are over that way), then the Stratford festival in the lovely town of Stratford (our British friends say it is remarkably British feeling) where they have one of the best chef's schools and therefore some wonderful dining, and then hit Toronto for a broadway style play or musical, some sporting events if you like, comedy, jazz, etc.
You also have the West Coast, Vancouver and the mountains!
Your options are endless, please give us some more information on what you are looking for so that we can be of more help!
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding (mine is in December so I feel your excitement)!
Megg
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks for the info - sorry should have said....we will be holidaying for 2 weeks and will definitely rent a car.

Thanks

Martin
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Congratulations! I would definitely suggest the east coast (Maritime provinces)for a honeymoon. It has a little of everything - beautiful river valleys lined with acres of forest, ocean sites, mountain ranges (including Mount Carleton, the highest peak in Atlantic Canada). The east coast has lots of touristy type things to see, but it also has many quiet, secret destinations that would be perfect for a honeymoon. May I suggest the St. John River Valley in New Brunswick? I'm quite partial to the area, as I live there. You can stay at a romantic b&b (check out Rebecca Farm or Stormdale Lodge)and explore our beautiful wildnerness. Enjoy!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:58 AM

It really depends on which part of Canada you want to see and where you will be flying into. As the other poster said the Maritime provinces have lots to offer. However, western Canada also has lots of what you are looking for. Two weeks would allow you to fly into Calgary, drive through the Rocky Mountains and then fly home from Vancouver. The choice really is yours to make.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:16 PM

Cruiseryyc you must be a Calgarian !! (the "yyc" must be the Calgary airport code - no??).
I agree with you, two weeks would be lots of time to take in the highlights of Canada's "far west".

So christm - fly to calgary - if you arrive at the beginning of July you can take in some of the Calgary Stampede ("the cowboy festival&quot.
Then drive to the Rocky Mountains to some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet !! Start in Banff, spend some time in town (restaurants, shops, the gondola to the top of Sulphur Mtn), drive to Lake Louise, walk around the lake (or canoe on it), dine at the Post Hotel, then drive north to the Columbia Icefields, or even as far as Jasper, and stop to see the sights along the way.
This first part will probably take about a week if you want to do it in a leisurely fashion.
Then drive across BC (through Yoho Nat'l Park, Roger's Pass - gorgeous scenery, and an interesting drive above narrow mountain valleys). Stop for a day or two in the Okanagan (Kelowna), and visit western canada's wine growing region (lots of wineries provide tours and tastings, some even have patio cafes for dining).
Then drive to Vancouver and visit Canada's most beautiful city, situated between the Coast Mountains and the sea. If you still have time left over, take the ferry over to Vancouver Island

Actually, Vancouver Island is worth a separate visit, as there are a number of charming inns and B&Bs around Victoria and west of Victoria overlooking the Juan de Fuca Strait, Sooke Harbour House has a beautiful small inn and an excellent dining room - mouthwatering seafood, and Point No Point Resort has fully equipped cottages where one can have a peaceful "getting away from it all" rest. And on the very west coast of Vancouver Island, near Pacific Rim Nat'l Park, there are a number of upscale resorts and cozy B&Bs nearly "on the beach", so you can fall asleep to the sound of the surf!!

Summer weather in Alberta (Calgary and the Rocky Mtns) is normally sunny and very warm, even hot (over 30C = 86F); it rains when there are thunderstorms, which are usually very transient. So you can expect good weather.
We spent two weeks on the west coast at the beginning of August, the weather was sunny and very pleasant the whole time.
So your odds of having good weather in July are really good.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Whereever you finally choose to visit, have a wonderful time!
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 04:39 AM

Since you are from the UK - I think that going to the East Coast will seem a bit like home, in terms of the terain etc.
Personally, I would go to the west coast which has a bit of everything in particular the majestic Rocky Mountains which are beautiful. You will also find that the weather will be more pleasant as it can be very hot and humid in the east. If you were to go to the west, go to Banff, Jasper, Vancouver and a side trip to Victoria (this latter city is quite english like). I'm from Toronto which is also a nice city - so if you are thinking of this area, include Niagara on the Lake. If reatuarants are your thing then nothing beats Montreal and Quebec City - both more European and great nightlife in Montreal.
Gook luck.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 05:20 AM

I second the Saint John River Valley, as I too live there!!! The Saint John River is the longest river in Atlantic Canada (and I believe something like the 30th longest in Canada) It is a beautiful, calm and very wide river that slowly makes it way out to the Bay Of Fundy. There are lots of beautiful little towns along the way, and the City of Fredericton (prettiest in Canada IMO)

I think the Maritime region is great because a nonstop flight from Heathrow to Halifax is like 5 hours.

If you are looking for relaxing and such, we are a quite area, even in the hight of tourist season.

And might I add, thank you for looking at our wonderful nation for your special time.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:08 AM

Hi Martin,

We have had the good fortune to see all of Canada...and based on your criteria of good restaurants etc. - here are some choices:

1. We have traveled all around the east for the past two summers and very much enjoyed it - great people. Halifax, Nova Scotia is alot of fun in the summer and you can find some great food there. Cape Breton, Nova Scotia has one of the most spectacular coastlines in the world and is very romantic - but food is not great. Great seafood in this area - but certainly not gourmet. This would be a very relaxing time for you in this part of the country - very laid back. New Brunswick is also very nice - but I would consider Nova Scotia for your first time to the east.

2. Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City corridor

Any of these cities would be great for you. All have fabulous restaurants and a selection of things to do. Toronto is very multi-ethnic and has great theatre. Ottawa is Canada's capital and has all of the historical sights of the country and is beautiful in the summer - great to walk around the market and the core of the city. Montreal is exciting with great night life and terrific restaurants. Old Montreal is interesting with horse and buggy tours which are romantic. Quebec City is historical, the sight of the Plains of Abraham (English vs. French) to claim rights of Upper and Lower Canada. Quebec City also has great restaurants and very romantic on the St. Lawrence River.

3. If you are theatre people, Stratford or the Shaw Festival is terrific - this could be combined with some time in Toronto and also the Niagara Region.

4. The West

Fly to Calgary, rent a car and visit Banff, Jasper and drive through the rockies to Vancouver. This is some of the most spectacular geography in the world. You will have great food in the hotels and a selection of great restaurants in Vancouver. A walk around Stanley Park and the ride to the top of Grouse Mountain are fun things to do. Also possible to take the ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island and see Victoria and drive around the island for a day. You could fly out of Vancouver at the end of your trip.

There are lots of options within any of these possibilities.

Good luck with your selection - Canada is a memorable place to visit.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions - I'm looking into them at the moment. What about good 'Honeymoon' hotels? Any really good, romantic places to stay in the areas suggested?

Thanks

Martin
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:20 AM

For New Brunswick, in the Saint John River Vally area, I would suggest the Holiday Inn in Mactiquac, or right in Fredericton the Sheriton (soon to be the Delta) or if you choose the ocean, in St. Andrews the Algonquin
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 10:00 PM

The Rocky Mountains are so beautiful that almost any place you stay will be romantic and memorable !!!

If you are going for posh accommodations, try Jasper Park Lodge in Jasper, Rimrock Inn in Banff, Chateau Lake Louise, and a number of people have mentioned Emerald Lake Lodge (in other threads).
There are other possiblities, including a selection of cabins in the woods (Paradise Lodge in Lake Louise was highly touted by one person, and though I have never stayed there, it looks charming from the outside), there are also B&Bs in Banff and Canmore (a 10 minute drive from Banff townsite).

These places may also have special "packages" for couples on their honeymoon; it never hurts to ask.(there are definitely "romance packages" throughout the year - this means special rates plus some little extras to make your stay more enjoyable; unfortunately, I am not sure whether they are available at the height of the tourist season in July)

For oodles of information, do a Google search for Accommodation in Alberta (also Banff, Jasper, Canmore).

Happy honeymoon holiday hunting!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:56 AM
JMM

For a romantic honeymoon amid spectacular scenery - THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS (Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper). The other places mentioned are nice but the Rockies are wonderful.
The Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper is a must.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 03:35 PM

Christm - My husband & I spent our 25th anniversary there this summer. We flew in to Calgary & drove to Jasper & then made our way back down, through Lake Louise & Banff. We were there for 7 days. I promise you it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. And if you are a photography nut, you will think you have died & gone to heaven! Congrats!!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:24 PM

Congratulations! I can't speak for the rest of the country, but my husband and I honeymooned in Alberta in November 2001(I read these threads from time to time and daydream about going back) and it was absolutely spectacular. I'm sure it is different in the summer but equally wonderful.

We were trying to decide between Banff and Ireland and we definetly made the right choice (We went to Ireland the following summer, and it was wonderful, but the Canadian Rockies were so romantic.) We stayed at the Pyramid Lake Resort in Jasper where they upgraded our room, cut our rate and gave us champagne and appetizers - it was off season and they were slow, but we still thought the service was outstanding. We also stayed at Chateau Lake Louise and the Rimrock in Banff and both were excellent.

We went in November so it wasn't very crowded and the Icefields were down right desolate, but it was very echanting - I hear it can get rather crowded in July.

Yet the area is so gorgeous, the towns so charming and everyone we encountered was so friendly. I would highly recommend this area. Have fun in your decision making and planning.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 10:19 AM

Congratulations Christm! My husband and I spent our 2 week honeymoon in 2002 in the Canadian Rockies and I tell you, the Canadian Rockies have totally spoiled it for us! The Rockies were so spectacular that we are having such a hard time planning another vacation because all we can think of is the Canadian Rockies - what other area can compete for us mountain/nature lovers (however, after reading some of these posts, I think I will check out Nova Scotia). We stayed at the Rimrock in Banff (loved it but their rates have gone up since our visit, would love to go back but may just be too expensive), then on to Beckers' Chalet in Jasper (terrific) and we also enjoyed Paradise Lodge in Lake Louise. No matter where you stay, if you are in the Canadian Rockies, you'll enjoy every minute of your honeymoon for sure! Good Luck!!
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 09:26 PM

Congrats,
As a Canadian that has lived in the West but travelled through most of our huge country I would suggest the Calgary/Vancouver trip. Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper are romantic and the scenery is spectacular. The trip from Calgary to Vancouver is about 12 hours of driving time but you get to see the Rockies up close. They are magnificant. You have a really good chance of seeing bears, mountain sheep, etc. I now live in Vancouver and love the city. It has the Pacific Ocean, mountains and yet is a very cosmopolitan city. Vancouver Island is a 2 hour ferry ride away. My neice is getting married in July in the Kananaskis mountains (where the G8 summit was a couple of years ago) and I can't think of a more romantic place. Where ever you choose it will be great!