Can Anyone recommend a one week canada trip with kids

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Anyone recommend a one week canada trip with kids

- Trip starting in California
- With 2 kids aged 8 and 4.
- Kids have high preference for trains. So long train rides would be great!
- Hopefully can finish in a week this summer.
Thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Since they like trains and you are travelling from CA, I am going to direct you to look at this website:
http://www.rockymountaineer.com/en_CA_ON/

Canada is a big, big place! I assume from your wanting to do only a week, and you being from California that you want to stay west coast. But I could be wrong! Do you have an idea which places you want to visit?
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 05:21 PM

An absolutely wonderful train trip is from Los Angeles to Seattle on Amtrak's Coastal Starlight which hugs the coast virtually the whole way up. You can then get another train to Vancouver where the Rocky Mountaineer is based.....but maybe that's too much train!!
I don't know if it bothers you or not, but The Rocky Mountaineer is currently in a labor dispute with it's workers and although it is still running, you would have to cross a picket line.
Instead of the Rocky Mountaineer, you could investigate Via Rail(our version of Amtrak) for a trip through the rockies.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 02:50 AM

Canada is the beautiful destination and from my point of view one week is too short. There are some best places in Canada which you have to visit it. like
Toronto
Vancouver
Montreal
Niagara Falls(My favorite)
Victoria
Calgary
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 04:00 AM

The three day train trip between Vancouver and Toronto is wonderful You can get a compartment, be fed great meals, relax and enjoy the ever changing scenery from the lounge car, and meet fellow travellers from all over the world. There is no better way to experience the vast diversity of the country. In Toronto, a zillion things to do, and from there you can take a day trip to Niagara Falls before heading back home.

www.viarail.ca
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM

We have family in Vancouver/Victoria & my 8yo DS has done variations on the LAX-Vancouver/Victoria summer trip. He's enjoyed the ferry and train adventure. For what it's worth, here's my suggestion.

Suggestion 1: LAX-Seattle-Vancouver
Fly to Seattle (early AM), catch the after ferry to Victoria (Victoria Clipper Seattle to Victoria). Stay 2-3 nights in Victoria.
Take Ferry Victoria to Vancouver (there is a bus that will take you to downtown Vanc & includes the ferry ride).
Stay in Vancouver 2-3 days.
Take the train from Vancouver back to LA.

Suggestion 2: LAX-Vancouver
Fly from LAX-Vancouver, spend 3-4 days in Vancouver or go to Whistler for 2-3 days. Then take the train Vancouver to Los Angeles. Amtrak allows 1-stopover for overnight as an option.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 07:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Take the Coast Starlight at least one way. http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241245648567
Don't fly to Vancouver. Fly to or from Seattle and cross the border on the ground by train or Amtrak bus to Vancouver.
Do you all have your passports?