Summer Honeymoon Destinations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this has been asked quite a bit...I am going to search and find out more but I would still like some "customized" feedback.

We are going to be taking a 5-6 night honeymoon in July and would like some recommendations. We are looking for a quiet, romantic honeymoon, but would also like to get out and have stuff to do. I don't think either one of us is going to wanna stay cooped up in the room all day long. We aren't sure we like the idea of staying in a hotel...something more private and quiet would be nice. We could rent a car if necessary.

We have gotten quite a few recommendations on Vancouver, but I am having trouble finding out where to stay, what to do, etc. Any advice or suggestions on other locations would be nice! It seems like Banff is a pretty popular recommendation in these forums as well.

Thanks,
Osman
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

I would also like to add that we don't really want to spend much more than $250C/night on the room. I just looked up the rimrock in Banff, and for those prices we could go on our dream vacation in the Caribbean. Alas, the budget won't allow it just yet...maybe in a couple years.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 09:29 PM

Have you considered staying at B&Bs?? Vancouver and Vancouver Island especially Victoria have a lot of B&Bs with furnishings and amenities that are much more luxurious than any hotel.
For $200 per night (Canadian) you are sure to find something really wonderful.

Here are two websites that may help you with your search:
http://www.wcbbia.com/
http://www.bctravel.com/bcbedandbreakfasts/

Personally I would choose Vancouver Island for a honeymoon, and in fact we are planning to spend our 25th anniversary there next year (probably at one of the resorts near Tofino). However, we did spend our honeymoon in the Rocky Mountains, and loved it too.
You have a tough choice!!
However, accommodation may be more reasonably priced on the west coast than in the mountains in July, so that may help you in your decision.

Good luck and congrats!!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 03:33 AM

If you want more of an outdoors experience, I would recommend Tyax Mountain Lake Resort (several hours north of Vancouver) www.tyax.com, where I went in August with my boyfriend and really liked it. I would also recommend Naramata in the southern Okanagan (especially if you like wine!), a good place to stay is Sandy Beach Lodge & Resort, or slightly cheaper but very nice B&B is Shimmering Lake - info on both on Naramata website www.discovernaramata.com - we stayed in both places in August, both were great, but Sandy Beach has more going for it. Good luck, and enjoy your honeymoon!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Hmm...victoria is actually looking pretty nice. How early would we have to get to the gardens to enjoy the Saturday fireworks? We can't fly out of Toronto sooner than 3...so I would estimate the earliest we can get to the gardens would be around 8:30 since we have to drive from Vancouver. Will that be early enough?

I think we might stay in Victoria for 2-3 nights and then spend 2-3 nights in Vancouver.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 06:40 PM

Fireworks start roughly at 10.00 p.m., but check out the exact schedule here:

http://www.butchartgardens.com/entertain/fireworks.php

You could fly from Toronto to Victoria. Some flights would involve stopping in Vancouver, and others are non-stop.

One Air Canada itinerary, for example, which involves a stop in Vancouver, departs from Toronto at 15:15 and arrives in Victoria at 19:05.

You could still sail past the Gulf Islands by taking the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver on your way back.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:53 PM
LGB

Would you choose Vancouver area over Banff for a summer honeymoon?
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:08 PM

This is such a tough question to answer, LGB. Both Vancouver and Banff are beautiful. I followed your signature to a couple of other messages you'd posted and found out that you'd done a beach vacation last spring, and wanted to do something different this time. That's a factor to take into consideration. I don't really know what your interests are.

Going to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper would put you in the mountains, no ands, ifs or buts about it. I love the mountains, the forests and the gorgeous turquoise lakes.

However, I feel there is more variety around Vancouver. It's one of those cities that has a fortunate combination of ocean and mountains next to each other. In addition to that, there are urban pleasures and natural pleasures in close proximity to each other as well.

Much as I love the Rockies, I would recommend Vancouver and vicinity.