Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hiking shoes needed for hikes around Lake Louise/Moraine Lake?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at Moraine Lake Lodge in August and want to do a few scenic hikes. We are cyclists, not hikers, so not sure if hiking shoes are needed or just sneakers or sport sandals. I was interested in doing hikes around Moraine Lake and the hike to the tea house above Lake Louise.
Your advice is most appreciated!
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Yes. They are most particularly a good idea if it is wet.

From my trip report to the area last year:
"The hike from Lake Louise to the beehive and the teahouses is a popular one and was very crowded, but we enjoyed it quite a bit. It has some relatively strenuous parts but done slowly can be handled by most moderately fit people.
We loved, loved, loved the hike from Moraine Lake to Lake Eiffel. The first quarter mile was very busy, but after that it thinned out and we had a gorgeous day among the wildflowers and clouds. What a view!"

I would have to rank Lake Eiffel as one of my all time favorite hikes.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Lucky you, staying at Moraine Lake Lodge! A sturdy shoe that is water proof/resistant would be best (a hiking boot is more than necessary and a hefty investment for cyclists who just want to hike a bit). Sneakers can get wet and may not provide enough ankle support-- depends on your needs. Shorter hikes along well traveled paths (eg Lake Louise trail to the end of the lake) can be walked in sandals, but once you move to elevation gain, the trails include a variety of terrain where sandals are much less appropriate. Yes, you will see people in sandals, but not a smart choice imo.
You'll also want to stay informed about bear alerts, as the Lake Louise/Moraine Lake area is a grizzly habitat. Not to alarm you, just stay informed via Parks Canada. Sometimes the trails are closed; often groups of 4 hikers are required-- if you wait at the trail head you can easily join with others as needed.
By the way, there are in fact two tea houses at Lake Louise, both are busy trails, the Beehive/Lake Agnes tea house is not as long or as high an elevation gain compared with the one up at Plain of Six Glaciers.
Your visit will be a memorable time for you, that area is simply amazing!! =)
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your advice!on trails and shoes. I will look into a studier, waterproof, shoe. We will be with another couple, so hopefully we will be able to hike with possible bear issues. I had read that bears may be an issue around the moraine lake paths. I think they also have guides at the lodge.
We're really looking forward to the scenery and cooler temperatures. June in Florida and I'm already tired if the heat!
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 08:36 PM

Sneakers will be ok, but I wouldn't advise sandals, even sports sandals. The trails are rocky and rooty, easy to stub a toe. Plus it can be cool - or by Florida standards, cold - on overcast or rainy days. (There is not such thing as a "warm rain" in the Canadian Rockies.)
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 03:55 AM

Please be sure and post a trip report when you return. I have always wanted to know what it is like to stay at Moraine Lake. They do have guides at the Lodge--there have always been bear warning signs posted when we visited.

Besides the Eiffel Lake trail, we enjoyed a short hike to Consolation Lakes that also starts at Moraine Lake.

I would think you could do most of the hikes in sneakers--even though hiking boots are better for support and when dealing with mud. We always wear hiking boots and with bad knees also use trekking poles when there is elevation gain, particularly for the downhill portions--unbelievable how they save your knees.

Are you also planning on biking when you visit?
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

LindainOhio:
We are going to look into renting some bikes. We will only be in the Moraine Lake area for 3 nights so not sure how much time we'll have. We are also taking the Rocky Mountaineer train from Vancouver to Jasper. We will stay one night at Becker's Chalets. Wish we had longer but we are incorporating this trip into a trip to see family in Seattle.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 06:25 AM

You don't need heavy backpacking hiking boots, but I would highly recommend light trail shoes/boots. Running shoes just don't have enough grip in their soles if the trail is wet and you could easily slip, eespecially on descents (and it has been a very wet year so far).

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_l...34374302759877
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 08:53 AM

We are also staying at Moraine Lake Lodge in early August. I called them and they said they have guided trail hikes from the Lodge on Wed.thru Sunday mornings at 9:30 am.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

ShellyDawn:
Thanks for the link. That's the kind of shoe/ boot I hoped would work. I didn't want to buy hiking boots that I might not wear again anytime soon.
Donna who:
What dates will you be there? We won't get there till the 11th. Thanks for the info on times and days for the guides. We will probably go that route for the days we hike near the lake.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM

I think any of the boots in shellidawns link.would work
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Cmcfong:
Thanks or your feedback on shoes and hikes. We will definitely do the hike you loved so much to Lake Eiffel.
I'll send a trip report when we return.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 08:50 AM

Have a wonderful time. It is a gorgeous region.