Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hidden Ridge Resort in Banff. Anyone stayed there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have booked 2 nights at this resort and wondered if anyone has stayed there and can give me some feedback. I have booked a 1 bedroom with 2 queens. I see the resort is on Tunnel Mountain Road, which I have read is one of the scenic drives in Banff. It is a short way from Banff and I am hoping will be kind of rustic and woodsy feeling. Also would like some decent restaurant recommendations in Banff. Thanks.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Doh

I am heading to that area myself for the first time next month so I can't give you firsthand advice, but I have seen a number of people recommend the restaurant at Buffalo Mtn. Resort, which I think is very close by to where you will be (Buffalo Mtn. being another name for Tunnel Mtn.)
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 08:12 AM

We stayed here a few years ago just after Christmas. We had the two bedroom which has a bedroom in a loft with a small en suite. The living room area was quite small but fine for our needs - I seem to recall it had a fireplace but don't think we used it. We enjoyed the hot tub at that time of year - freezing cold outside and lovely and warm in the hot tub. I don't recall any restaurants on site. My brother arranged for a skiing and snowboarding and they were picked up at the resort. It's quite secluded and we enjoyed our few days there.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:26 PM

The suites in Hidden Ridge Resort are ok, nothing fancy, you have a kitchen and fireplace, it's cozy. But Tunnel Mountain is gorgeous, you can have some nice walks there with lookouts, you can even walk down the hill to the Banff townsite in about a half hour if you like the exercise walking back up the hill. The restaurant in Buffalo Mountain Lodge is fantastic! The food is a little pricey, but very very good. It's located right across from Hidden Ridge Resort. If you want to try something different, check out Grizzly House. It's a fondue restaurant, they have all different kinds of fondue. Again, expensive and you will need a reservation.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Just back from my stay at Hidden Ridge so thought I'd report on it here.
The location of the resort is really nice, above Banff town about 10 minutes from downtown on Tunnels Mountain Road. It is a quiet area with lots of opportunities for an evening walk.
Our room was a one bedroom with separate kitchen/living room. There was a fireplace but it was so hot we never used it. The bedroom had 2 queens and I must say the beds were very comfortable. Small bath but clean and cozy. Couch was hidabed and one person slept there and said it was comfortable. The room was nothing fancy, but was clean and comfortable. There is a huge hot tub on the property and a shuttle bus to downtown that leaves every half hour. All in all a good value for the money.