Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Most terrific places to stay in Rockies THAT ARE ALSO VERY QUIET?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fodorites were absolutely terrific in helping us plan our first trip to Costa Rica last year, so I suspect we'll get the same fine feedback on this site.
We're folks in our early 70's who love to hike and see gorgeous and interesting new places-- and who, at this stage in our life/travels, are willing to splurge on accommodations. We're not sure yet exactly what our itinerary will be, but it'll likely be a trip of about 10 days, starting in Calgary, I suppose (maybe the first night in Canmore?)
What I'm hoping is that I'll get good suggestions for wonderful places with terrific views and amenities that are also as quiet as possible. This last detail is the most important to us. I don't mind busyness in the day (when I assume we'll be out hiking), but I do mind if a room isn't very quiet at night. Things like loud plumbing or heating, thin walls, creaky floorboards, rushing rivers (tho I love them in the daytime!) can ruin a stay (for us).
Can knowledgeable folks please recommend accommodations in maybe Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper (etc) that might fill the bill? In short, very handsome and upscale properties that are also nice and quiet in every respect?
If people cdan actually recommend specific rooms, that'd be great. I know that room choice can sometimes make a large difference.
Thanks so much. We're very much looking forward to this trip (next summer).
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I have stayed multiple times at the Rimrock Resort in Banff-highly recommend it. Ask for a mountain view-the hotel is in a "V" shape, the inside framing Mount Rundle (I believe). Great hot tub, pool and spa/salon. It's not on the main drag, but close to the hot springs which are great for relaxing in.

Take a walk along the pathway around Lake Louise. Great views, very serene. The Chateau Lake Louise sounds like it would match your accommodation needs-have never stayed there myself though.

Accommodations in Canmore are most frequently motels, however the Four Points Sheraton is very nice. Had a couple great meals at their restaurant.

Search the hotels on the net and they should give you a good idea of pricing/amenities/views.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Canuck-- Thanks for your reply. Rimrock sounded very nice from what I'd read in guidebooks, but then when I checked reviews on Tripadvisor.com, several folks remarked on the very noisy heating system-- kept them awake all night. That's precisely the kind of thing I'm hoping to avoid.
Also: I forgot to mention that we need a king bed. I looked into Baker Creek, e.g. (because it, too, sounded pleasant), but it has only queens.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Mt. Engadine Lodge near Canmore would provide you with easy access to excellent hiking, an isolated environment, and very good food. Bob Brown recently posted on this forum an excellent summary of his visit last month. It is a very quiet resort with incredible views and basic comfort. It is not luxurious.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Although I have not actually stayed there yet (my reservations are for January), I suspect that the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise would fit your requirements perfectly provided that your room is as far away from the parking lot and elevators as possible, that you are several floors up (to be away from the smells and noises of the kitchen and first floor), and perhaps if you are on the newly renovated 5th floor and/or the newest wing (perhaps these rooms are better insulated?). The Chateau is an upscale property with world-famous views (get a lakeside room) and excellent amenities (EVERYTHING you could need right there - as well as a great program of activities for all seasons that can be booked through the concierge and that leave from right outside the hotel lobby). The hotel will definitely be busy during the day, but if you have the right room, then I think it should be perfectly quiet at night. The 5th floor has recently been renovated and the guests of that floor are given special amenities. Perhaps someone who has stayed in the newest wing or on the newly renovated 5th floor can post and let you know their experience with the volume level at night. Rooms booked through the hotel's website are quite expensive, but you can get prices much lower (up to 50% off) if you shop around. I can give you some ideas if you are interested.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Poss, I never had a problem with noise at the Rimrock. I'd consider myself a relatively light sleeper.

Even if you don't end up staying there I really recommend taking a stroll through the lobby to the rear of the hotel to look at the mountain-it's impressive.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone.
Mrkindallas-- yes, I would appreciate hearing abt ways to get lower rates at the Chateau. I know, for instance, that lots of people use Expedia/Travelocity, etc etc-- but I've always shied away from doing that; makes me uncomfortable for some reason.
Cannuck-- Yes, I've read that the views at Rimrock are splendid. looking forward to seeing the place (and glad that you didn't hear the heating pipes)
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Mt. Engadine Lodge. Quiet. Great food.
Moose join you for dinner - in the meadow.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 09:29 PM

In the Lake Louise area, the Post Hotel is outstanding. Stayed there two weeks ago and had a room on the "preferred" side of the third floor--very quiet with all of the amenities. Plus they have a great restaurant. Baker Creek is also great (have stayed there three times)but it doesn't match the Post Hotel (even when you factor in the difference in price). I would recommend against staying at the Chateau Lake Louise--there is a constant stream of tour buses and RV's and reviews on some of the travel forums have been mixed. The restaurant at Baker Creek is as good as the restaurant at the Post Hotel but less expensive and less formal. Have stayed at the Alpine Village in Jasper three times with different types of accomodations each time. On our recent trip, we had a "Deluxe Bedroom Suite' which was spacious, quiet, and had a king bed. Jasper Park Lodge is more upscale but like the Chateau Lake Louise, the reviews on various travel forums have been mixed (plus their rates are much higher than the Alpine Village). There is a very good restaurant near the Alpine Village at the Tekarra Lodge (all restaurant recommendations subject to the same chef being there next year when you are planning on going). If you haven't done so, suggest you check out the web sites for both Alpine Village and the Post Hotel.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 04:57 AM

Poss - it appears that you are really bothered by noise at night, have you ever thought of sleeping with ear plugs? I stayed at the Rimrock last September and don't remember any noise at all during the night.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Cruiser: Have tried to use earplugs on numerous occasions. Alas, they don't work for me: never truly block the noise, plus I'm aware of them.
Craig: thanks for your long response. Baker does not have king beds. Alpine Village looks great, and might be just the place for us. E.g. though most people would wish that the creek were not across the road, I think we'd like it better that way. When I spoke with a very nice person at Post Hotel, she acknowledged that if we're noise sensitive, we'd be unhappy at Post. Said one could sometimes hear the trains even on the preferred side-- and that definitely one heard the river. I appreciated her honesty.
And I very much appreciate all the good feedback here!
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 05:28 AM

We just returned from a stay at Deer Lodge just down the street from Fairmont and Lake Louise. The whole area is quiet at night after the day trippers leave. However, if you think of Deer Lodge be sure to get a room in the new wing. We were in the original lodge rooms and while they were just fine for what we wanted, they can be noisy. It is an old building and the stairs creak and groan and the floorboards do also. The new wing is much more modern and I am sure much quieter. The location can not be beat as you can easily walk to Lake Louise and the Fairmont and the hiking trails go off in every direction.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:12 AM

The Point Cottage at Emerald Lake Lodge looks absolutely beautiful and quiet--it also has a king size bed.

We stayed at Emerald Lake Lodge last year--in the least expensive room and fell in love with it. The resort has such a beautiful setting on the lake.

Some people complain of day traffic but we usually left during the day and enjoyed our mornings and evenings there. We ate breakfast and dinner there and thought the food was very good--the dining room looks out toward the lake.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

LindainOhio: Did you happen to see the "deluxe" rooms at Emerald Lake? Point Cottage certainly does sound terrific, but I'm afraid it would be kind of "overkill" just for two people. Deluxe rooms have king beds according to the website, but I just don't know how quiet/private they'd be (and don't know if I could trust the place to give a perfectly honest answer). Thank you.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:54 PM

The cabins at Emerald Lake Lodge are built as a four plex. Two rooms up and two down. Although the property is very secluded (more so after the day trippers leave) the cabins themselves are not the "silent experience" I believe you're looking for. You will hear the people next to you and if you're in the bottom unit you'll hear guests walking up and down the stairs into the top unit. That said because of the location and seclusion guests at Emerald Lake Lodge tend to retire early and once that happens its just the sound of the silence you can look forward to.

The Point Cabin is beautiful -- and while it is my favourite location it does have a unit above it, so you will hear guests arrive and leave.

It is my understanding that the difference in deluxe, premier or superior rooms is their location on the property and the view. Unless you move into a suite there is no difference in layout or amenities.

As for the Chateau, the last time I stayed there (in a lake view junior suit) I could hear the guest in the next room sneeze. I've never been a fan of the Chateau.

One hotel you may look into is the Juniper Lodge (the old Timberline Resort) in Banff. It has been fully renovated and is located out of the town site just up the hill from the highway. I've never stayed there but have had drinks and dinner on their patio (I posted a message on this board asking anyone if they've stayed but didn't get any responses). They have a few individual cabins that are tucked into the property away from the main hotel. Not a creek or railway track to be seen -- I think its what you're looking for. The website is www.decorehotels.com
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM

Here's another idea..a vacation rental in a private home. You lose the some of amenities (no maid service), but you gain a full kitchen, the peace and quiet of any normal home, privacy of your own yard, usually a vcr or dvd player, radio, washer, dryer, etc.

Here's one in Banff with a King bed:
http://www.vrbo.com/10761

www.vrbo.com is a good place to start looking.

As for good deals on the Fairmont, I found mine through American Airlines Vacations online. www.aavacations.com

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Hydra: thanks. I still believe that Emerald Lake may be quite fine for us-- if we can secure a top room. And I think the deluxe rooms are the only ones besides the Point that have king bed. (How in the world does one distinguish between words like "superior," "premier," "deluxe"??) We don't require absolute silence (!), just as close to it that we can achieve.

Mrkindallas: thanks for the aa info. I'll look into it if we decide to pursue the Chateau. We love renting condo or house if we go somewhere for a week or so (e.g. the Caribbean or Hawaii), but not much interested for fewer days than that. Plus, we really do enjoy eating out on vacations.
Do either of you-- or anyone else (I'll probably post the question separately also) know the Lake O'Hara Lodge? I wonder how it compares to some of these other places. (tho I haven't checked yet abt king beds).

Again-- many thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:48 AM

If you want scenery, luxury and quiet, and don't mind splurging, try the Eagle's Eye Suites at Kicking HOrse Resort in Golden.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Do be aware that the drive between Golden and Lake Louise can be taxing and stressful is weather is not good, plus at this time there is lots of constuction and reduced lane sizes. After dark the dividing lines are almost invisible. The VERY HEAVY large truck (lorry) traffic just adds to the stress level.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:07 AM

make that "if weather is not good"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -