Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

very quiet and peaceful places to stay in Rockies?

Jan 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

We're planning our first trip to the Rockies for this late July or August (I know-- a busy time, but our only chance...) We're hoping to find wonderful places to stay-- but ones that are quiet, especially at night. I'd like, e.g. to stay at the Fairmount,Lake Louise because the setting sounds wonderful-- but I've also read that the walls between rooms are thin and that one can hear talking,etc. Also (esp in front of the new wing?) that there's lots of bus noise, even early in the morning. I'd thought Post Hotel--but have learned about the train noise. Does anyone know of any particular areas or rooms at Lake Louise that would be especially quiet? (other than the most expensive ones?) Thank you. (I'll be posting this same query abt the Jasper area and abt Banff. Rimrock sounds handsome, but there, too, there've been many reports of noisy systems.)
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:20 PM

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Lady MacDonald Country Inn in Canmore, which is 20 minutes from Banff and about 45 minutes from Lake Louise... we were very happy with the location and our room was very quiet! It was the Retreat Room, which is the only room on the main level and away from the other rooms. it had two bedrooms and a sitting area with a large jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. The breakfasts were wonderful and the staff was very helpful and friendly. We were there with three small children and that room is so isolated and away from the rest of the rooms there were no complaints! (Much to my relief!) I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.
Jan 9th, 2006, 07:48 AM
ltt

for banff, if you could get rooms 181 or 184 at the douglas fir resort - they are in peaceful settings.
Jan 9th, 2006, 10:20 AM

For a peaceful setting in the woods near a babbling brook, try Baker Creek Chalets. They are located an 8 minute drive from Lake Louise and about 40 minutes from Banff (in-between the two places).
Jan 11th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to responders.
Question abt Baker Creek: I've read that there's train noise. No? Would be interested in hearing more reports about that place because it sounds pleasant otherwise.
I'm eager to get this Rockies trip planned-- I'm positive that the secenery, hiking, etc will be awesome. But I've never had so much trouble finding accommodations that would be suitable-- i.e. wonderful and quiet, but withut paying $500 a night and up. sigh...
Help REALLY appreciated!