Banff/Lake Louise Lodging Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm second-guessing my lodging choices for our upcoming trip to Banff-Jasper-Lake Louise and was hoping for some advice from people who know the area.

This will be our last vacation in a while and we're really looking forward to it. We're willing to splurge a little and would love to stay in some scenic places that are comfortable/quiet for a pregnant lady, with some degree of luxury and convenience. We will do less hiking and activity than I would normally enjoy, so want to stay at a place with some room to relax, hang around and enjoy the scenery.
First night in Banff, got a special rate of $230CAD and reserved a Deluxe King vith a mtn view at the Rimrock Resort. Now, I'm wondering if it might be better to stay at Buffalo Mtn Lodge. They also had a standard deluxe queen available for $199. I hear it's walking distance to town and we don't have a lot of time scheduled for seeing Banff.

Next two nights scheduled at Becker's Chalets in Jasper in one of their newer deluxe chalets-upper unit. (We could also spend three nights in Jasper and two in Lake Louise if anyone thinks that makes more sense given what there is to see and do.)

Last three nights (Lake Louise or Field area) we have a choice of Baker Creek Chalets in a jacuzzi suite with fireplace, half kitchen in the Elkhorn Lodge with balcony facing the creek--$235nt. Requested an upper unit, but not guaranteed. I hear the bistro there serves very good food, which is always a plus.

Cathedral Mountain Lodge also has quiet cabins available (mtn view?) for $300/night, including continental breakfast. The cabins look beautiful--the only downside for me is that while there's a room refrig and coffeemaker, there's no restaurant open while we're there.

Paradise Lodge has a Queen room available for $165 (no fireplace) in the lodge bldg in a lower unit. Deer Lodge had Heritage Rooms available, but they're equipped with two dbl beds. Emerald Lodge view rooms were out of our price range. Considered the Post Hotel, figured the room might be nicer, but more of a regular-sized hotel room and were thinking we'd prefer some extra space.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Oh don't second guess!! The choices you have made are all great, you won't be disappointed with any of them, and since you can't stay at every single lodging available on your trip - that would be really tiring, all that packing and unpacking !! - don't worry, make your decisions based on whatever appeals most to you, and then forget about it - enjoy your time in the mountains!!

Although Buffalo Mountain Lodge is within walking distance of main street Banff, and getting to town will be easy for you - all downhill - beware of getting back - it may make you too tired, and might not be so pleasant if you are pregnant - it is all uphill, and it's not a gentle uphill either. So don't make that your factor when deciding between Rimrock or Buffalo Mountain Lodge. Personally I think that Rimrock is more upscale and posh than Buffalo Mtn. Lodge. That being said, I would stay at either one with no hesitation. By the way, Bufflao Mountain Lodge has a very nice dining room, the food is great. Rimrock is a big hotel therefore has all the amenities of a big hotel (dining rooms, coffee shops etc.).

The cabins at Baker Creek Chalets near Lake Louise and Becker's Chalets in Jasper are spacious and have kitchens, eating areas, living rooms with fireplaces (gas or wood) or wood burning stoves, and separate bedrooms - so they are very very comfortable. We have stayed at both, and we go back as often as we can!!

Baker Creek Chalets are in the woods near a creek that is an 8 to 10 minute drive along the Bow Valley Parkway from Lake Louise Village. It is a tranquil peaceful place to stay.

Becker's Chalets are a few minutes south of Jasper townsite (the way my husband drives - it's less than 3 minutes), they are nicely situated in a Ponderosa pine forest next to the Athabasca River, near a bend, where at various times during the day you can watch the whitewater rafts bobbing and twisting and turning as they float by, and elk and deer wander by at dawn and dusk to feed on grass and shrubs. On one of our trips to Becker's, i glanced out the bedroom window to see an elk munching on some grass not three feet away from the window!!

You will have no problem relaxing at either of these places. And both have dining rooms where you can enjoy dinner when you don't feel like cooking in the well appointed kitchens.

Paradise Lodge and Post Hotel are "in" Lake Louise (between Lake Louise Village and the lake itself - LL isn't really a town, but a collection of hotels/motels/shops in a small village by the highway, plus more accommodation as you drive uphill towards the lake, and of course Chateau Lake Louise is right on the lakeshore). Haven't stayed at either Post Hotel or Paradise Lodge, but have been in and dined at Post Hotel (it's a Relais and Chateaux - can't go wrong with that!! - and the dinners ARE fabulous).

Banff and Lake Louise are near enough to each other - a 45 to 50 minute drive - that you could actually stay in either one and visit both without the necessity of moving. Lake Louise is a bit more centrally located if you plan to visit Banff townsite and the attractions in Yoho National Park.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip to the Rockies!!

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:18 PM

I can maybe help with the Banff part, as I stayed at both your choices on my trip out there a few years ago. I liked both, but for different reasons. The Rimrock is beautiful, the views are wonderful, just sitting in the lobby area having a light lunch or drink overlooking the mountain is fantastic. The rooms are nice, not over the top luxury, but nice and the overall ambiance of the hotel is what makes it special. The Buffalo Mountain Lodge was a different feel altogether for us. I'm not sure what the room type is you are looking at, we stayed in one of the rooms with a nice bathroom; cozy feeling to the room, fireplace, etc, cathedral ceilings, balcony. A cottagy type of feeling to the place is what we thought. If you are looking at one of their more standard rooms, I would say the Rimrock definitely is worth the difference in price. Yes, the Buffalo Mountain Lodge is closer to town but you are only talking about 2 minutes from the Rimrock by car. Keeping in mind we were there off season, no traffic to contend with
Both were relaxing for us, in very different ways. The Rimrock has a spa, room service etc, and we enjoyed those aspects, more of a hotel feeling.
Sorry I cant help with Jasper, we never made it up there, we got snowed in in Banff! What time of year are you going? One of the things that made the Rimrock so nice was also how quiet it was when we were there. I think one of the reasons the Buffalo Mountain lodge appealed to us for the few days we spent there was also it was winter and we enjoyed the fireplace/cabin type of feeling.
Have fun, its a great place!

Sherry
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Borealis and Sherry. Very helpful posts. You've put my mind at ease. Now, I can really settle down and get excited about the trip.

Much appreciation.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Definitely the Rimrock, they also have free shuttle to "downtown" Banff.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:41 AM

If you're looking at a "standard deluxe" at Buffalo Mountain Lodge you should stay with the Rimrock.

The rooms that everyone raves about at Buffalo Mountain Lodge are their "Premier Rooms" which come with the claw tubs and very nice bathrooms (definately this is the type of room Sherry stayed in). They're located at the top of the property and are quite secluded whereas some of the Deluxe Rooms back directly onto Tunnel Mountain Road -- in the summer the traffic is pretty heavy.