Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to purchase music by Canadian singer DANIEL LAVOIE?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to my Candian friends!

I am looking to purchase a CD by the Canadian singer DANIEL LAVOIE. The name of the CD is "Tension Attention."

I can't find it on Amazon.com (Canada or U.S.)

Any suggestions on where else to find it? (I am based in NYC. Neither Virgin Records nor Tower Records seems to carry this artist.)

Thanks/Merci!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:35 AM

Bonjour bettyo70. Try www.archambault.ca They seem to have the album you're looking for. If you do not want to buy it online, there are two Archambault stores in central Montreal (Berri and Ste-Catherine, and Ste-Catherine in Les Ailes).
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

JQ: You rock! Thanks...

I WISH I could purchase it in Montreal, but for now I'm stuck here in NYC.

Cheers,
Betty
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:40 PM
KT

The artist's name is Lanois, not Lavoie. There, another international problem solved.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 02:38 PM

KT - that's what I was thinking at first, but no, there's actually an artist named Daniel Lavoie!

(although Daniel Lanois is excellent... I saw him perform here in Vancouver on July 2nd at the Jazz Fest!)
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 02:38 PM

proof: http://www.lavoiedaniel.com/
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I was inquiring about LAVOIE, not LANOIS (although both are great artists for different reasons).

Hi Carmanah! (You helped me on the VT.com forum too.) You lucky duck...how was the LANOIS concert? My husband and I were thinking of coming up to see him perform, but we're BROKE after going to France... Maybe next year. I would love to hear a FULL REPORT on this year's Montreal Jazz Festival...anyone?

--Betty
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
KT

I'm sorry; I'm an ignoramous. I admit that I should have checked first....
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Hope you find it! Lavoie's 'Ils s'aiment, comme des enfants' is one of my all-time favourite recordings by anyone in any language...oddly enough first heard at a fashion parade deep in Central Russia in 1991 - took me ages to find out who on earth it was! By the way the first track on my CD is 'Tension, Attention'...
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Betty070, the Daniel Lanois concert was fantastic! It was quite surreal actually, as I purchased tickets well after they went on sale, yet, somehow miraculously, I ended up with excellent seats. I went online and selected, "Orchestra" and "best available", and they gave me rows 34 and 35. I was just happy that they were available, so I took them! A few moments later, I realized that these weren't rows 34 and 35, these were *seats* 34 and 35 (I hear a duh! happening)... so when I looked at the receipt to see what rows we were sitting at, when I saw that it was row A, I was actually quite mystified. "Row A... isn't that... front row?" I looked at a seating chart for the venue, and sure enough, row A in the orchestra was the very front. Better yet, seats 34 and 35 were dead center!

When we arrived, we had no idea it would start *sharp* at 8pm. We were maybe 5 minutes late getting to our seats, so we had to be ushered down with a flashlight. There, up head, right infront of Daniel Lanois, were our 2 seats. There was maybe 8 feet of space between us and Daniel Lanois. It was like we were having a private concert and he was playing just for us. It was truly surreal!

The music was beautiful, but unfortunately since it was a sit-down venue, nobody was willing to get up and dance (and I'm sure if a few people did, they would have been told to get back into their seats). He didn't play my favourite "Whole Lotta Love", but I couldn't complain.

It turns out he's coming back to Vancouver, this time to play with a band called Tortoise, to which they're going to jam on stage together at the Commodore - a stand-up, dancing kind of venue. I'm so tempted to purchase tickets again!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi Carmanah! (Hello to David, KT and JQ too!)

I'm glad Carmanah had so much fun at the Lanois concert!

I'm pretty excited too, because we will be coming to Montreal soon: September 1 to September 4. Yay!!!

ARE THERE ANY MUST-DOs THAT YOU WOULD RECOMMEND DURING OUR VISIT THERE?? Any informal concerts/performances happening that we could pop in to??

I heard Brazilian Girls performed at Soda Club recently and were really great.

People keep telling us that we MUST make a visit to Quebec City. ARE THERE ANY HIGH-SPEED TRAINS going to QC?? I would like to visit, but the idea of a three-hour drive each way doesn't thrill me.

ANY OF YOUR MONTREAL, etc. RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

We are definitely going to have dinner at Brunoise, hang out in Old Montreal and Mt. Royale Park. We love music/concerts/interesting clubs.

Thanks/Merci beaucoup!!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

P.S. DAVID: I was able to find "Tension, Attention". I like some of the songs on this CD, but not all.

Yes, "Ils s'aiment" is definitely one of the stronger tracks. That's so bizarre that you first heard it in Russia!