Jasper Accomodations

Search

Jasper Accomodations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jasper Accomodations

If money was not the determining factor, which accomodations would be preferable--
The Jasper Park Lodge or Becker's Chalets?
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Ooooo - that's a tough question!!
We have stayed at both, and have liked both, although I prefer Becker's Chalets just a little bit more than JPL (Jasper Park Lodge).
The Fairmont Hotels (of which JPL is one) have all the bells and whistles for service and amenities, but it takes away from the mountain experience for me (I sometimes forget which restaurant or shop is in which mountain hotel location - Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper - having been in each numerous times, they all seem the same to me).

I guess the question for you is - what type of holiday are you aiming for??
If you like to be pampered and to have very comfortable & upscale amenities at your fingertips, go for JPL.
If you would like to have a quiet "home away from home" mountain experience, go for Becker's Chalets (and stay in a deluxe chalet).
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning toward Becker's in Jasper and the Fairmont in Lake Loiuse. That way we can experience "home away from home" and pampering!
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Alas, Becker's only has cabins along the road (no riverfront) available. What would be your second choice for a "mountain experience"?

Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:49 PM

Since you were originally deciding between Jasper Park Lodge and Becker's, go with Jasper Park Lodge. It is a lovely spot, the pampering is nice, you can walk around Lake Beauvert, browse for clothes and art in the shops, have an afternoon drink overlooking the swimming pool, lake, and Mt. Edith Cavell, go golfing etc. It IS in the mountains, and some of the units do have fireplaces (not all, so ask), so you will get a comfy luxurious mountain experience instead of a basic wilderness one. But hey - each type of experience has its own charms, I won't knock one for the other.
Personally however, I think that JPL is way overpriced (as are all Fairmont Hotels in the Rockies).