Help with Nova Scotia.

May 6th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Kim

Help with Nova Scotia.

Well thanks to all of you I have successfully booked and planned our vacation through NB and PEI. But Nova Scotia....wow...everything we want to see is scattered. There are certain things that are a must see...we are coming in from Wood Island in PEI and staying our first night in New Glasgow. From there we were heading straight to the Cabot trail....spending the day doing that then driving to Sydney for the next night. Visiting Fortress Louisberg and the lighthouse...from there we were heading back up towards New Glasgow for the next night and heading down to do Peggy's cover and Lunenburg. So far that is what we have done...we will be heading over to Annapolis Royal, Fort Ann and Digby but figure I will start with this...I know it is adventurous but we aren't into relaxing vacations....lol ANy help at all would be appreciated as well as drive times if anyone knows this....Thanks

May 7th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Tanya

Where are you staying in New Glasgow? What time of year will you be travelling? New Glasgow has a beautiful beach you would probably enjoy - Melmerby. As well, take time to stroll the Town of Pictou and its waterfront. The Pictou Lodge is a beautiful spot to stay and have wonderful food. You may want to head directly to Halifax for the night after visiting Cape Breton. You are only about 1.5 hours from New Glasgow to the city. You have to spend at least one night in Halifax and enjoy its charm. Peggy's Cove is only a 40 minute ride from Halifax (if you take the scenic route). Make sure you take the scenic route towards Lunenburg. Lots to see along the way - Chester, Mahone Bay, etc.

May 7th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Kim

Thank you ... we are travelling end of July.... How far is it from Fortess Louisberg to Halifax taking the quick route and not scenic? Since we will be driving at night speed is more important than sights..lol..Thanks again.

May 7th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Tanya

Towards the end of July in New Glasgow there is a Music Jubilee with lots of great entertainment in an outdoor setting on the riverfront. As well the first of August is the busker festival in Halifax on the waterfront. Probably lots of other activities in between. The drive from Louisbourg to Halifax would take you about 4 to 4.5 hours direct. Once you reach New Glasgow, it is all divided highway into the city.

May 7th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Bogart

If you make it to Annapolis Royal, be sure to take in the Candlelit Graveyard tour. Sounds sort of morbid, but it is well worth it. It is a sort of history lesson performed by a talented "story teller" told in a dark graveyard. Definately not boring...quite enjoyable! I believe it takes place on Tuesday's and Thursday's during the summer season.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time in beautiful Nova Scotia!

May 8th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Kim

That 4 - 4.5 hours is that taking the north route on the trans Canada or the scenic southern drive?

Also the Gravyard tour how do I find out about it and is it too scary for children ages 10 and 13

Thank you all so much

May 9th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Tanya

Didn't realize you had children with you. In the Valley check out Oaklawn Zoo (unless you have access to a large zoo like toronto). Also there is Upper Clements Park which the kids can enjoy a few rides (like the flume).

May 10th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Kim

No I would love to do the Graveyard tour. Where can I find out about it. I have checked some web sites and the Doer and Dreamers give but I can't find it. We have about 4 days left of our vacation in the Annapolis Royal Area and Digby. Where do you suggest we stay and where is the best whale watching. Thanks again for all your help

May 13th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Tanya

Brier Island in Digby County you will find plenty of operators for whale watching.

May 15th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Shannon

Kim:

As a resident of Halifax, you have to check out our city - even for a day. There is so much to do especially if you arrive around Busker time! You should take the direct route from Louisbourg - Halifax. It is faster and you will get plenty of scenery when you do the Cabot Trail!

May 16th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Kim

Thank you all for your help,

Which route is the direct route from Louisberg to Halifax?

Also where can I find out about the graveyard tours?

Thanks again,

May 17th, 2002, 07:53 PM
dick

graveyard tour guide when we visited last sept was the president of the historical society, who was also the ranger bat the desk when we visited the fort that afternoon. i'm sue anyone in town can direct you to the tour..

May 23rd, 2002, 10:58 AM
Sara

I just did some research on the Annapolis Royal graveyard tours... They will start on June 2 and happen every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. You can call (902) 532-2397 for more information. Hope this helps!

Search this Thread