Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

HELP! Need advice on Montreal (St. Laurent area)...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a last-minute trip to Montreal next week and this time... I have been advised to stay in the hip Plateau area (St. Laurent St).

Since I have not spent much time there, could anyone recommend places to stay? Either hotels or B&Bs? I will be going solo. I will definitely not want to miss out on fun places in the area for music, concerts, etc. It would be great to be based somewhere where I can walk and be close to the nightlife.

Someone mentioned HOTEL GODIN.

Also, ANY recommendations for nearby bakeries, cafes, places to eat where I won't feel weird if I'm alone, etc.

A MILLION THANKS!

--Betty
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 06:51 AM

There is a lot more to the Plateau than St.Laurent - St Denis,East Sherbrooke, Laval, Sq. St Louis, Mt Royal st.,etc, are all part of the Plateau. There are dozens of small hotels and b&b's in the area.
A few hotels - Argoat, Manior Sherbrooke, Crowne Plaza, Ste. Antione.
For b&b's look here - http://www.bbcanada.com/quebec/montr%E9al/montreal
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:21 AM

I haven't been to Montreal for a few years, but the area around St. Laurent and Prince Arthur hasn't changed much, which is a good thing. It has a kind of Bohemian flair to it and quite multicultural. The best part is there are a large number of fairly priced restaurants and cafes in that area. I love the places on Prince Arthur, where a lot of them let you bring your own wine and are very reasonably priced. Most of them are Greek and some are Italian. Some also have a 2 for one deal and prix fixe menues. I think ther are a few clubs in the area too but I haven't been to them.

Casa Greque is my favourite place, but there are many to choose from. I would also recommend Schwartz's deli, which is right on St.Laurant, near Prince Arthur. It always has lineups, telling you how popular it is. You won't be lonely at Schwartz's because the tables are very close to one another and people generally chat with each other.

As to places to stay in, I usually don't stay in that area, so I can't help you with that one. Have a great time wherever you end up!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Monique: I look forward to the wonderful food and ambiance of Montreal. If it weren't for the cold, I would move there! Such a lovely city.

I hope to try La Colombe, maybe l'Express. Had a wonderful meal at Brunoise a couple of years ago...

Definitely want to catch a blue singer at one of the clubs. Maybe go dancing. All in two days... yikes!

Thanks, zootsi... again!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:11 AM

As far as the cold weather goes, it's not always that bad this time of year. If it does get too chilly for you, are you aware of the fact that there is a pretty good subway system in Montreal and also an underground pathway in the business section with lots of stores and restauants?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Monique: Whoops. I meant to say "blues/ jazz singer", not "blue singer".

Regarding the cold: As long as there is no bone-chilling wind, I'll be okay. I want to hike to the top of St. Joseph's. Just got inspired for some reason.

Cheers!