Reload this Page >

Gourmet/Deli in Halifax for Picnic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:40 AM
sandy

We will be staying in Halifax, and visiting our daughter at summer camp in Barss Corner (not far from Lunenberg) on visitors day. This year, as a break from the camp food routine, she would like us to bring a picnic. Any suggestions as to where I might pick up some great food to go?

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Tanya

Scanway Catering and Pastry Shop on Quinpool Road. Great food! www.scanwaycatering.com

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Cheryl

Where are you staying in Halifax? I might be able to tell you another place close to where you are staying where you might pick something up. I am thinking Scanways might be a bit pricey.

Old May 24th, 2002, 08:03 PM
sandy

Staying at Prince George Hotel - it's across from the Citadel.

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Tricia

If you have a car I would go to Pete's Frootique at Bedford Place Mall, they have lots of great salads and pastas packed to go. Also try the Italien market it's a short walk from your hotel it's next to the Port of Wines but the name of the little street escapes me.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:20 PM
wendy

Tricia is right about both Pete's and the Italian Market but Pete's is in the Sunnyside Mall across the street for the Bedford Place Mall and the Italian Market in on Young Street in Halifax.

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:13 PM
sandy

Thanks, everyone. What about really good bagels? Anywhere in particular? How about a Jewish deli - bagels, cream cheese, lox, etc....

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:47 AM
Bev

The name of the Street for the Italian Market in Halifax near your Hotel is Doyle...next to the Port of Wines. As for deli:not what you are used to, but they have excellent bread and salads etc. Also try Pastamimi in Spring Garden Place on Spring Garden Road for meats etc...smoked salmon can be purchased at Sobeys grocery store or the Atlantic Superstore...sliced and wrapped...or buy it frozen and let it thaw.Or..call the two Deli's and ask if they would get you some smoked salmon and cream cheese etc....