Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

4 Days in Nova Scotia - Itinerary Ideas??

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are coming from South Korea and will be in Nova Scotia for 4 days, 3 nights. We are flying into Halifax around Tuesday lunchtime, and flying out Friday afternoon.

I have read tons of itineraries here, but it's tough. We don't want to do too much historic stuff. Maybe just the Halifax Citadel, a brewery, a market, the harbour in Halifax. But the more difficult thing for me to figure out, is travelling around. We will rent a car, and would love to see some of the coastal areas outside of Halifax but we don't know what we can really get to. We could do Wednesday and Thursday (one night) to spend outside of Halifax driving around. What areas could we get to? Beautiful coasts? Coastal cliffs? Quant villages?

I would really appreciate the help. We both can't wait to get there. Thanks in advance!!
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM

You could definitely drive to Lunenburg for the night. Spend the first afternoon in Halifax. Then head out early Tuesday morning for Peggy's Cove, and then on to Lunenburg stopping in Chester and/or Mahone Bay (quaint villages) as you desire. Then Wednesday, head over to The Ovens Natural Park (coastal cliffs) and hike to the sea caves (maybe kayak to them if you want). Then you could spend the rest of the day just exploring the coastline (beautiful coasts), and head back to Halifax for the night. Get up the next morning and see a little bit more of Halifax before heading out for your flight.

I will say that I think two 1/2 days in Halifax is not giving it a chance. While history is an important part of Halifax, it's actually an interesting history (more than just about war). The Maritime Museum has nice exhibits on the Titanic and on the Halifax Disaster. The exhibit on the Halifax Disaster is interesting because you can walk outside and see the various major points of the event.

You can also take a nice cruise around the harbour in a sailing ship, visit the public gardens, shop, relax and take a stroll along the harbour.

Whichever you do, you'll have a great time.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM
ltt

with such a tiny amount of time i don't think i'd even book a room outside of halifax. you could do a long day trip encircling peggy's cove, lunenberg, mahone bay and the oven's natural park and then return to halifax. bring along a picnic basket to munch on throughout the day and then have a nice dinner at mahone's or lunenberg.
the exhibt on the halifax disaster is interesting.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies. I what we need to do now is decided whether to stay in Halifax and do day trips out, or do a 2 day trip out of the city and stay somewhere one night.