Reload this Page >

Montreal during Jass Festival

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:55 PM
nancy

Six months ago I made reservations at the Delta Montreal for a first trip to Canada. I have since learned this is during the Jazz Festival. While my husband and I do not dislike jazz we do not really love it either. Will this festival bring in such crowds it will be hard to get into restaurants, shops etc.? Should we try to find other reservations in another area of the city. I think I might enjoy the festival spirit enviroment if it is not too over crowded. I got a rate of $185.00 Canadian dollars. Is this okay?<BR><BR>Any information on this subject will be helpful.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Nancy

Old May 30th, 2002, 03:33 AM
JJ

Hello Nancy, <BR>We got reservation in Delta where we stayed before three times because of good rates. But we never paid this much. During Jazz Festival we will be paying $120 Canadians. Also during Jazz festival gets very crowded. We are going there for jazz but I understand your position. Montreal live and breath jazz at that time and this is what we like about it. I cannot tell that you won't like it city during this time but it is overcrowded and if you don't like crowds and not enjoying jazz you need to rethink your decission. Montreal is a great city but I would avoid such big events. The next one is International Film Festival and I think it starts the last week of August for two weeks. Hope you will have a great time whenever you go.

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:55 AM
zootsi

If I were you, I would not change my plans. True, the St. Catherine street area gets very crowded, but there is much more to the city, and the rest of the city will be fine. We have gone to Montreal during the jazz festival, and have never had unusual problems getting into restaurants. Montreal is a very big city, and can handle crowds very well. Also realize that the jazz festival features a lot of very very interesting free music, including salsa, african, blues, old rock and roll, etc. I can't imagine not finding something you like.

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:11 AM
nancy wesson

Thanks JJ for your input. I am sure it is too late now to get lower rates at the Delta, but for future references where did you find your rate of $120.00?<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR>Nancy

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:20 AM
JJ

Nancy, we always book directly with the Delta. $120 is the highest we ever paid but we realy want to participate in jazz festival. They have 800 number. If you would like I can find it for you<BR>I agree with Zootsie that there are other activities. If you don't mind crowds go for it. I hope you and your husband will like Montreal as much as we do.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Jane

There are 2 Deltas<BR>Delta Montreal is the less expensive, Delta Centreville is a little more expensive. The rate you quoted seems more suited to the more expensive one but as with all hotels, sometimes they sell out of the lower rates and you're stuck with the "rack " or full price rate.

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:20 AM
ttt

zootsi ([email protected])<BR>Date: 05/06/2002, 08:28 am<BR>Message: The Delta on President Kennedy & Sherbrooke is a much more interesting location. If you have children, the Marriot Courtyard on Sherbrooke has the nicest pool, but the Delta rooms are a little nicer. The Delta Centreville is located in a rather sterile, office building setting. <BR><BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:19 AM
nancy wesson

Thanks to each of you who took the time to reply. Actuallly, I called the Delta direct and got the $180.00 price was cheaper than the site's I saw on the Internet. I asked for the AAA rate and a club room and am hoping it has a balcony.<BR><BR>We are excited about our trip. Any more info. anyone can share will be appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks again.<BR><BR>Nancy