going to canada, need travel advice

Aug 8th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

going to canada, need travel advice

Hi, I'm from singapore and I need some advice on cheap flights to take to canada. The thing is that I've already booked a week of resort in Toronto from 6th to 13th dec and another week in Banff from 13th to 20th dec, but am currently having difficulty finding flights from singapore to canada that would fit my tight budget.

Anyone knows the cheapest routes from Singapore to Toronto and from Banff to back to Singapore? We don't mind transitting in other places like Europe, Japan etc for up to a week. Also, which dates would have the cheapest flights there and back?
Aug 8th, 2008, 04:33 AM

My question is how are you getting from Toronto to Banff? It is a four hour flight from Toronto to Calgary which has the closest airport to Banff. I'm sorry but I can't help you with your flights from Singapore.
Aug 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM

Have you tried www.kayak.com? Just put in your dates and itinerary (open jaw) and should find the lowest available fare.
Aug 8th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Airfare in Canada is not cheap - you can expect to pay at least a few hundred dollars to get from Toronto to Calgary. The main two airlines here are Air Canada and WestJet. I'd check into that "open jaw" option someone else mentioned; it may be your cheapest option. (WestJet only flies in Canada and a few other places in North America.)
Aug 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM

You would also probably be better off sticking with either the east or west...I would suggest from Singapore probably the West Coast, say Vancouver and Banff...or Vancouver and Whistler, or Vancouver and Victoia BC...would be much more economical...Canada is Huge...and Toronto and Banff are no where near each other...there are two time zones between the tow
Aug 9th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Yup, I was thinking of taking an internal flight from Toronto to Calgary. Would an open jaw option of Singapore-->Toronto-->Calgary-->Vancouver-->Singapore or 'closed jaw' route of Singapore-->Toronto-->Calgary-->Toronto-->Singapore be cheaper?

What about flying to a USA airport, say New York and driving over to Toronto? Do US airports have cheaper taxes?
Aug 11th, 2008, 06:03 AM

I'm from Toronto and have flown to Europe from Buffalo NY, as well as US destinations. I have found the flights leaving from Buffalo to be cheaper than Toronto. But the international flights out of Buffalo are not direct, but pass through other hubs (like Philadelphia in my case). Good news is that Southwest Airlines does have flights to Buffalo from many US destinations.

So...if you could find a cheap flight to the Eastern Seabord of USA (or to Buffalo via a tranfer OR a Southwest flight) it may be cheaper. BUT...you would still need a transfer to Toronto from there (I drive, my house is about 2 hrs from that airport). I have seen mention here about shuttles. I don't know if you are thinking about a rental car or not.