Fireworks at Buchart Gardens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Victoria/Vancouver in July and have heard wonderful things about the fireworks there on Sat. night. What I would like to know is, are they worth planning your trip around? Those of you who have seen the gardens in the daytime, evening and the fireworks--what do you prefer? Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM

The fireworks are definitely worth seeing - probably one of the best displays you'll ever see. As they don't start until it gets dark (naturally) why not go out early evening (5:00 ish) put your blanket or chairs down in the viewing location (don't worry they won't disappear) and then wander the gardens until show time. We usually take a picnic supper but you can always pick up supper at one of their venues.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

So if we were to go out to the gardens no the bus in the late afternoon, you feel we could find a place to put our blankets down and wonder around to see the flowers, etc.? Do you think this is preferable to getting out there early in the morning, before the crowds to enjoy it all. I think getting there early and staying the whole day is too much for my mom that I'm bringing with. Also, has anyone eaten at the restaurant there or had tea? I'd be interested in your opinion of that. Thanks.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Our family had tea there about 4 years ago. It wasn't as fancy as tea at the Empress, but it was less expensive and very enjoyable.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:40 AM

To spend the entire day would be way too much for anyone. If your heart is set on seeing the fireworks, then go out late afternoon, set your blankets down and enjoy wandering the gardens. The main restaurant is lovely but pricey. There is also the Blue Poppy room which is cafeteria style with excellent food. Or there is the coffee shop for quick snacks.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

I'm not sure my heart is set on seeing the fireworks--I'm just trying to make the best decision and not sure what to do! Could it be so crowded that I'll regret not going there in the morning when it first opens--I'm a little worried about that. Mom is 80--and although she is in good shape...terrible crowds and no where to sit until 10 wouldn't be fun-but perhaps this is not a problem. I'm just trying to do what is best here. Thanks for all your input--I'm anxious to hear other opinions if there are any.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:03 PM

You certainly don't want to spend the day there. A few hours is plenty so the suggestion of going later and putting your blanket or chairs in place and wandering around/eating is a good one. Although there are a lot of people you never get the feeling of crowd. Of course it is outdoors and there is a lot of room to spread out so you just don't feel like you are in a huge crowd. The fireworks are truly wonderful. It isn't like a regular display they have a lot of displays close to the ground that are incredible.
Enjoy!
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:50 AM

If your heart is not set on seeing the fireworks, then I would go earlier in the day. However going first thing in the morning will not necessarily mean that it won't be crowded. The tour buses start arriving as soon as the gates open in the morning, but as a previous poster it doesn't necessarily seem crowded.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Good to know that the fireworks are different than most-close to the ground and that it never seems that crowded. I think we should try and see them. I, too, thought that the tour buses would all be arriving early so that won't necessarily prevent us from beating the crowds.
Thanks, everyone..I think we will do the late afternoon arrival and plan on seeing the fireworks.
We are staying at the Grand Pacific--any comments on that??
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:18 AM

The Grand Pacific is a lovely hotel and right in the heart of all the tourist attractions in the Inner Harbour. You will certainly enjoy your stay there. Again - have a wonderful visit to our city.