Search

Van to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Van to Alaska

Hey all...God, i love this site..Anyways, im moving up to Vancouver this august and well, before i settle in, i really want to travel around Alaska for 2/3/4? weeks....What is your thoughts on a good/cheap/and well encompassing way of getting up to alaska from vancouver and also once arriving in alaska, getting around? I've heard of the inside passage on the bc ferries going from vancouver to prince rupert..Let me know your thoughts on this...Im 23, i love to travel, and i dont mind grinding it out if i have to.In other words, a pretty cruise is probably not in my budget.thanks.- Craig
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Hello Craig,

I've never been to Alaska, but would love to go. I have done a bit of research on the state ferries in anticipation of a future trip:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

You may get some good answers here. If you have not already done so, you also might try posting your question at Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum. It tends to attract posters who are, shall we say, more adventure oriented.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 09:53 AM

For now don't count on BC Ferries - that was the ship that sank last week. I don't know when the replacement will be running or what the schedule will be.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Hi, another alternative is the ferry that runs from Bellingham washington, just south of Vancouver through the inside Passage to Alaska. I haven't done this but did research it a few years ago. It is a fraction of the price of a cruise but follows the same route. Once in Alaska you can bus, train or rent a car. For the way back Alaska air is the best deal. I looked into taking my car but got discouraged when the locals I talked to said I should get head light covers and to just expect to replace the windshield. I also researched renting a motor home but the average price was $200/day and the car/hotel would be cheaper.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM

oh, wait, NOW we know what you meant by "Van" to Alaska.

Hmmmmmmmmmmph... if I were intent upon 'roughing it' or 'grinding it out' without a vehicle... I don't know that the touristy areas of Alaska would be so great. Sure there is plenty of scenery to be taken in while getting from one spot to another, but for cost-conscious individuals I am not sure how easy that is.

Hard to tell whether you could afford a passenger-sans-car round-trip ticket between Bellingham/Vancouver and Alaska, but I promise you that both the scenery there and any scenery you'd (have to) encounter if taking a bus from Anchorage to Fairbanks or the like, would be awe inspiring.

Unfortunately, even by road the path from Vancouver, BC to Anchorage is something near to 2300 MILES.

It will take a lot of travel inspiration to make the trip you wish to experience.

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Two weeks is no much time for such along trip.

Take a look under www.alaskapass.com for travel costs without a car.

Seattle to Anchorage via road requires a long travel time (3920 miles/2500km oneway).