Alaska: one-way or round trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the early stages of planning an Alaska cruise. I found good deals on HAL round trip from Vancouver and several Carnival one-way trips. The airfare for us would be about the same either way. Any preference or advantage to one over the other. We're in our late 30's if it matters. Thanks!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The benefit of the one-way cruises is the opportunity to do some touring in southcentral/interior Alaska (Anchorage, Kenai, Denali etc.) while the round-trips just visit the Southeastern panhandle of the state. It really depends if you have sufficient time to allocate to the northern terminus (or origin) of your cruise - at least 5-7 days, longer if possible, added to the 7 days on the ship. If you do have the time and budget, then the one-ways expose you to a lot more variety than the round trips.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 02:52 PM

My ideal trip would be 7 days one way then 7 days on land then 7 day back to Vancouver.

I regret only going on a 7 day round trip. but that was better than never going.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:32 AM

We did the one way from Seward to Vancouver. We spent a couple of days touring around Anchorage and Seward on our own and then several days in Vancouver and over to Victoria. It made for a wonderful trip and we were able to get farther up along the Alaska coast - especially to College Fjord which my mom wanted to see. We used Princess and loved it. Our cousins went on HAL last year (got a special deal to go both ways - 14 days) and they had a wonderful time.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:12 AM

I too would never consider any one way sailings without adding at least another week, I also give a big edge to HAL for Seward. But plenty of people just pass through this part of Alaska and way too many under budget time. So do some more homework and determine what is important for you.