family outdoor holiday in Ontario

May 2nd, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

family outdoor holiday in Ontario

Any advice on an outdoor (canoe, hiking, biking) for family with 3 kids aged 6,7,8 fo 2 weeks in Ontario? We are looking at Algonquin Park, Manitoulin Island, Georgeian Bay, Killarney Park...

Has anyone travelled with canoe-tours like Timberosa ?

Does anyone know of any farm-inns suitable for children in Ontario?

Thank you
May 4th, 2004, 09:20 AM

My family's been to Algonquin Park twice and have greatly enjoyed the experience both times. There are a number of campgrounds situated along Highway 60 inside the park, but the two "best" (away from the road, woody, and minimal noise) are Canisbay and Pog Lake. Lots of canoeing opportunities (can rent by the day or longer), short, medium, and long hiking trails, logging museum, etc. Don't know when you are planning on going, but I'd recommend logging on to www.ontarioparks.com for up-to-date info. You can actually make campsite reservations online through this website at Algonquin and at a handful of other parks as well. Also go to Algonquin's website, too, for loads of info. Have fun!
May 5th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Have a look at www.countryhosts.com. They list a number of farm vacation spots - looks like a reliable and useful site.
May 8th, 2004, 12:59 PM

I don't camp - but i have friends who camp wildly - even do the winter thing?!?!?!!? They strongly recommend The Pinnery on Lake Huron - great for kids...and Algonquin...if you take your kids up north Algonquin way make sure you try and do the drive down Hwy 35 and stop in at the Wolf Center...truly a fantastic experience...Wolves protected in a massive park area - but you can drop in and see the wolves as they often come around the center....watch them interact with limited human involvement - it is in Haliburton - another lovely place north of Toronto
May 10th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Dear Carib Bean: Thanks for the heads-up on the wolf center on Hwy 35. We've been to Algonquin a number of times from the States and didn't know of the center's existence. We'll be sure to make a stop the next time.
May 10th, 2004, 05:21 PM

I am glad that I could help - it really is a very interesting experience - we cottage there regularly and i have done the wolf center every time as those darn wolves are truly intriguing - I do hope you enjoy it as much - If you are having a difficult time finding it I think it is also a part of the Haliburton Nature Center...As you are heading south on Hwy 35 - which is a lovely drive anyway - you will come to a small town names Carnarvon...the intersection is Hwy 35 and Hwy 18 if you turn left at hwy 18 and follow through to the town of West Guilford - 7 minutes...the wolf center signs will take you the remainder - overall about a 15 - 20 minute drive off of Hwy 35.

Have a ball!
May 14th, 2004, 09:19 AM

As a family we camped everywhere, every year, even on the DC trip where I watched Neil's walk on the moon from a campsite.
Dad was a school principal so he could take almost the whole summer off.

The Pinery is great, watch out for poison ivy though, that's the only place I got it ever, but I did have the dog with me and they are immune to the allergy but can carry the oil so maybe I "caught it" from him.

The best campground for families is Bon Echo bar none. Great beaches, shallow water, tall rock cliffs with hieroglyphics, and rumoured hidden silver mine caves. Great wild blueberry fields on the top of the cliff. Lots of programmed activities like guided nature walks and amphitheater presentations. A separate completely wild no camping area on the other side of the highway.

Provincial Parks fill up fast especially the great ones, book early, or move on Mondays etc.