Driving from Va to Milwaukee - need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking about driving this summer from SE Virginia to Milwaukee for business (but taking kids and sitter too) for my husband (he works for Northwestern). We'll stop in Chicago to visit friends. We know nothing about WI. Are there any reasonable places to stay in Milwaukee? We're B&B fans but would consider anything decent that is $100 or less, if that is possible. While we're up there, what would be within a few hours drive that we should see? We're not into shopping or really touristy places and love hiking and culture (sports are fun too). Kids are 3 and 5 and sitter is Dutch so she'll love the culture. Really think this will be our 2006 vacation so we may as well see / experience some areas of the country that we have not. Also, is it worth driving any particularly scenic routes there or back? Thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:46 AM

I'm not a B&B guy but there are lots of B&B's in Lake Geneva, WI which is a cute little town right across the IL/WI border.

In Milw., the art museum on the lake is spectacular. on Sundays you can get a family special for a Brewer game. I think it's $36 for four tickets/hot dogs/soda's. There is also the Harley-Davidson motorcycle tour if that is of interest.

In the Madison area (about 1 hour west) There is the Cave of the Mounds, Circus World Museum, Old World Wisconsin and then New Glarus, WI and Little Norway, WI are places of interest also. Good Hiking in Devils Lake Park.

about an hour north there is the EAA air museum in Oshkosh.

And of course the Wisconsin Dells are about 1.5 hours from Milwaukee. Very touristy but lots to do also.

I would suggest doing a Yahoo search on these places so see if they are what you are looking for. They all have websites.

I personally like to travel the back roads. I can't think of a 'must see' scenic road but you get a better feel of the state then the intersate.

Hope this helps a bit.

Enjoy.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:30 AM

Depending upon when you will be there, the Milwaukee lake front is home to Summerfest, http://www.summerfest.com/index.php
There are also a number of ethnic festivals held at the lakefront through out the summer, http://www.summerfest.com/otherevent...rkcalendar.htm
If you are there at the beginning of August, the state fair is going on in nearby West Allis, http://www.wsfp.state.wi.us/home/wsf...FAIR/index.htm or
http://www.wistatefair.com/home/2006_website/index.htm
IMHO it is a really good fair.
Those events, especially the fair, could possibly affect availability & rates of hotels.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. These are very helpful - I might as well be traveling to Mars for as much as I know about WI (she says, hanging her head)
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:07 AM

Well, it's not QUITE Mars...

Milwaukee is great fun in the summer -- there's usually some sort of ethnic festival at the Lakefront every weekend. I imagine you'd be coming for NML's agents meeting in late July. If so, you'll be able to hit both Festa Italiana (one of the country's premier Italian festivals) and German Fest. Jazz in the Park on Thursday nights at Cathedral Square is a great time. Check out a Brewers game at Miller Park, there's a fabulous zoo that the kids will love, try the Miller Brewing Company tour (free beer for the grown-ups and free soda for the kids.) There are some great state parks nearby -- try hiking in the Kettle Moraine or Door County. The Milwaukee Public Market -- in the Third Ward, not too far from NML -- is a lot of fun, and there's a weekend farmer's market in the summertime.

This Web site might be helpful -- www.milwaukee.org.

Good luck!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

I love Milwaukee and haven't even been there yet - thanks for all your help. The festivals sound fabulous - can't wait!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:39 PM

The Betty Brinn children's museum is wonderful--your kids are the perfect age for it. It's at 929 E. Wisconsin Ave, at the Lake. NML's downtown location is at 720 E. Wisconsin Avenue www.bbcmkids.org

The Public Museum is fun for both kids and adults, and there's an IMAX theater. The butterfly garden is great. It's at 800 W. Wells, which is one block north of Wisconsin. www.mpm.edu

Re: B&Bs
The Brumder Mansion 3046 W. Wisconsin www.brumdermansion.com
The Acanthus Inn 3009 W. Highland, just a few blocks north of Wisconsin
The Kilbourn Guest House 2825 W. Kilbourn, also just a few blocks north of Wisconsin Ave.
www.kilbournguesthouse.com
County Clare Irish B&B (also has a restaurant) 1234 N. Astor
Manderly B&B 3026 West Wells Street
Schuster Mansion 3209 West Wells Street

Most of the B&BS have prices that start at less than $100, but go significantly above that.

To spend under $100 per night, I'd recommend Priceline for a hotel.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:51 PM
kp

Check the Wisconsin DNR website for an overview of the wonderful hiking etc. available. I've hiked with 5 yr. olds (day camp) in the Northern Kettle Moraine area and they love it. Northern Kettle Moraine is west of Sheboygan--not too far from Milwaukee.
If your stuck indoors due to rainy weather your children would probably enjoy the Betty Brinn Childrens Museum in Milwaukee.
Milwaukee also has a very nice Natural History Museum.