Fairmont Kenauk

Jun 18th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Fairmont Kenauk

Has any one stayed at / or have any information on Fairmont Kenauk. I will be
staying there for 2 nights ( 7/7, 7/8 )
Jul 15th, 2004, 08:02 AM
mrj

Hi..planning to stay there in September..wondered what you thought.what items should we bring etc....thanks, jim
Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I just saw your post. Everything is propane ,so flashlights are important if you need to get up at night.They have a coffee maker that sits over the burner on the stove if you want to make fresh coffee. The only other important thing is bring all your food etc. with you when you go to check in as it is a long drive from your cabin to town. Do you know which cabin you will have? It was probably 23km from our cabin to town. Loved it.You really will be in the wilderness. One other thing all our water was from our lake that we had all to ourselves ,so if you are uncomfortable with that either bring your own bottle water or boil the water first. Don't know if you know the area Montebello but there is a supermarket there.Do you know the area?
Aug 5th, 2004, 06:06 AM
mrj

Hello again. Thanks for the response. We have gone to the Montebello for the past two years during New Years and have loved it. It's because of this that we heard about the Kenauk property and have been looking foward to this new experience. We are booked in the "Pumpkinseed" cottage. There is so little info about this property that I can locate. The kids want to know about the wildlife ( my 5 year old wants to know if there are bears?) They say that there is a canoe and a rowboat at the cabin and that you can rent a motorboat...did you? Did you find the cabins clean, enough towels and blankets, do we need sleeping bags? What did you wish you brought along? Do any of the lakes allow access to the Montebello Hotel? Thanks for letting us 'pick your brain'.....Jim
Aug 16th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Our cabin was very clean. You really only need to bring food.I looked on the map I brought back with me and your cabin is further then where we were, so
bring all the food you think you'll need as you will not want to ride back into town. We had a rowboat , canoe, and a kayak at our cabin and Iam sure you will also. No lake acess to the hotel Montebello.I think they have some sort of bear watching tour / moose . I will look tonight and see what info I can add to the above. There is a wildlife park not far from the hotel Montebello which if you have never been is really great. You drive through and you can feed the animals carrots that they sell at the park. September is a great time to hear the moose as it is mating season.Good chance you will see one. They also have hiking trails there.
Aug 17th, 2004, 05:59 AM
mrj

Hi. Thanks again for the reply. More questions from my wife..1)cooking..do they have a bbq?..firewood?..oven?.freezer..do we need Ice?...Are there life jackets (kids) for the boats? Also did they have any warnings about bears wandering into the site at night.That takes care of my wifes questions..I was wondering about the fishing..can you buy bait and tackle there or should we do this prior...Thanks once again, Jim
Aug 17th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

We had a big propane bbq, fire pit , and
also another small grill.Firewood was there with a hatchet. Yes there is a freezer not a big one.You don't need ice unless you want ice cubes right away.Ask for life jackets when you check in , but they will ask you. They do sell fishing stuff and I believe that at the fish hatchery they will have bait.I also think you can rent a motor boat there but not sure. They can also get a fishing license for you if you are not from Quebec and do not have one. I would call them if you want to fish so it will be ready for you when you arrive. You only need to bring yourself and food everything else is there. How long are you going for and what part of the country are you from?
We are thinking of going back next year inthe beginning of Sept. They also have off-road adventures with 4x4 land rovers.A little expensive but it is an option.I will be happy to answer any other questions that you may have.JoAnn
Aug 18th, 2004, 06:25 AM
mrj

Hi JoAnn and thanks again for the info..We are coming up from Long Island (about a 10 hour drive)..I guess that's why we are asking so many questions so that we don't forget to bring anything..I'll post when we return and let you know of our experience..thanks again, Jim
Aug 19th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

I use to live on Long Island. Actually born and raised in Mastic Beach. Can't wait to hear what you think of Kenauk.
Have a great trip and if you think of any other questions just let me know and I will try to answer them for you.

Jo-Ann
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:08 PM

We have been going to Kenauk every September for the last seven years - going agin this weekend - cannot recommend it too highly. Superb cabins, great fishing, peace, solitude, beras, moose, Loons by the dozen, starry skies. Just wonderful - pity about the cost!!

You only need to take food and wine - the equipment and bedding etc is very comprehensive.
Sep 22nd, 2004, 05:50 AM
mrj

Hi all... just thought I would report on our recent stay...this was definitely what we had hoped for and more...we saw no other humans for 4 days...the kids used our private lake all day long..caught quite a few rainbow trout and had many a wonderful dinner...the loons, osprey, eagle, deer turtles fish frogs etc etc kept us amazed every day...would reccomend this highly however the selfish part of me wants to keep this a secret...jim