Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise - just how small are the lakeview standard rooms?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking to book nice accomodations for the Lake Louise area for 5 nights in September. We had hoped for the Post Hotel, but the only availability there for our 5 nights is a room that's out of our budget. However, we've found a deal on the Fairmont Chateau LL Lakeview standard rooms - because we plan to stay for 5 nights, our rooms are discounted 40% to $270 USD/ night (+ tax). On their website they describe the rooms as 165 sq ft...which I can translate into just under 13x13....but how tight do they really feel? Are the bathrooms tiny too? Is the view worth putting up with cramped quarters? There will be 2 of us. I've read mixed reviews, and am looking for a bit more guidance before we decide. Thanks!
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 11:21 AM
maj

Is it a room with a view of the lake?
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi Maj - yes, standard room, but lake view. (so not the standard room rate without view would be even lower).
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 01:28 PM
maj

First, sorry-I saw the "lakeview" in your post after I replied and couldn't get back on the site.

We actually decided not to stay there after reading reviews from others, knowing a couple of people who stayed there on tours (they were in rooms without a lake view and were not impressed) and seeing it once we arrived. If you were only staying for a night or two, it could be worth it to you, but since you are questioning the size, would you really be comfortable in a small room for 5 nights? Also, if you want the ambiance and history, you may want to stay there. Many have and loved it--but I never heard anyone brag about the rooms. Did you consider staying there a a night or two and then moving? We don't like to do that, but it might work for you.

Have you looked into Deer Lodge--that has received good reviews from fodorites and is within walking distance of Lake Louise?

When are you going in September? We went at the end of the month last year and there were vacancies everywhere at that time--also all were reduced because it was mid season(I think that is what they call it). There are places you can reserve and not have to pay a cancellation rate if you cancel within a certain time. (I never would have considered that before--but apparently it is a common practice.) Keep checking closer to your travel date and you may be able to get a room at the Post that you want.

Lastly, how important is the view to you? It is great, I'm sure, to wake up in the morning and look out the window and see Lake Louise, but how much time will you be spending in your room looking out the window. If they had a nice balcony with each room, I would have felt different about it. They are building a new hotel next to it--will that be finished by the time you are there?
This, of course, is just my opinion, I know others have stayed there and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Depends on what you want. If you have never been there before--you will love it-- no matter where you stay! Have a great trip!
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I did look into Deer Lodge today, but according to online availability, they are booked for our dates (9/11-9/16). We are getting some pretty good rates, but for most we are still at the edge of 'high' season, unfortunately. For the Post Hotel we actually overlap between their 'high' and 'mid' season rates. I think I may do as you advise for the Post, and ask to be put on a waiting list or something similar. In the meantime, we may reserve at Paradise Lodge - I e-mailed them to confirm their cabin availability, and they do have 1 cooper & 1 other cabin available for our dates after all...though they said the only cooper is close to a road so it may get traffic noise during the day. Perhaps you are familiar with the locations of the cabins, and could advise how much traffic the cabins which are closer to the road get?

In any event, with respect to my original post, the more I 'sleep on it', the more I think the Fairmont is not for us. Anyway, we want more of a mountain experience...and you're right, we do want to stay at the same place for all 5 nights and 5 nights in a more cramped space does not sound ideal!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:57 AM
ltt

i personally don't think i'd ever pay that much for that hotel. stayed at douglas fir resort in banff and the "view" we woke up to when we opened our blinds was the mountains, lots of trees and deers grazing right outside out balcony. same "view" in the evening. it was great.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:19 AM

For those of you who have stayed at Chateau Lake Louise, may I ask if the amount of people visiting the lake, and going in and out of the hotel was intrusive at all?
Knowing how much this hotel is a night, my thought as we walked into the hotel, was that I don't know if I'd want to stay there with so many people milling about during the day.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Hi,

I have been researching the area since I will be there skiing in March. Two places I found that may be what you are looking for are about 10 miles out of town. Check out bakercreek.com and decorehotels.com for the castle mountain chalets. They are both luxury cabin style properties. Baker Creek Chalets also have a restaurant. You will be between the towns of Banff and LL.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:16 PM

There are tons of people milling around the Chateau. Even though the hotel puts up signs at each end of the lobby which say "guests only" there are many people (including me) who ignore them and come look around or have a drink in the lobby bar. When I was there in June 2003, there were people everywhere, both at the lake and in the hotel. It is definitely not a relaxing place.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:30 PM
maj

I have a question regarding this--when we went to Lake Louise (and did not stay at the Chateau), I went into the hotel following the signs for the coffee shop. I ended up wandering around because I figured that they wanted people to do that because of all the (expensive) shops inside. If I remember correctly, you had to go across the lobby to get to some of the shops. Surely they want people to come in to frequent these places. I couldn't believe how many there were.