Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

A place to stay other than Post Hotel and Chateau Lake Louise.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a nice alternative to the Post Hotel and Chateau Lake Louise? Both are just a bit too expensive for us, although we are not necessarily looking for budget accommodations. What about Deer Lodge, Emerald Lake Lodge or Paradise Lodge Cabins? I've seen them mentioned, but no reviews. Please help!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Andree

I've seen, but not stayed at the Emerald Lodge. Beautiful settings, definitely out of main steam. However, I've stayed at their "sister" lodge, the Buffalo Mountain Lodge in Banff. Beautiful rooms with fireplace (premium/deluxe, not the room facing the road), very good restaurant and nice warm ambiance (log building) Would recommend this place. I'll be staying at Paradise Lodge Chalets in September. It was recommended to me from a reliable source. Website looks good. I could comment on this in 6 weeks!

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Too late! We're going Aug. 15th. Thanks for your reply.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:22 PM

We have stayed at Emerald Lake Lodge twice--it is very nice--little cabins in the woods, no tv. My boys love it. There is a huge pool table upstairs in the main building which they like. Food is delicious. Deer Lodge is owned by same company and looks nice though I have never stayed there.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:23 PM

If you like the "cabin in the mountains" experience than I would recommend Baker Creek Chalets.
This lovely little "resort" is just off the Bow Valley Parkway (the old two lane Trans-Canada highway) approximately 8 minutes drive from Lake Louise Village in a very quiet forested setting near a creek (hence the name).
The accomodations include "log" cabins, and rooms in a chalet. There is also a dining room.
The cabins are very comfortable. We have stayed there several times (including in winter) and we were never disappointed. The unit we stayed in had a queen size bed in one bedroom, two twiin beds in a loft overlooking the living room, a full kitchen including a microwave, a little eating area, a pot-bellied wood-burning stove (instead of a fireplace) in the living room, and a private deck with access through sliding windows (living room).
There is more information available on the web at http://www.bakercreek.com/Pages/Rates.html - check it out!
I don't know about Emerald Lake Lodge - my son stayed there once and told me that the rooms were very small.
Happy Trails!!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Athena39,
We stayed at Emerald Lake Lodge about 3 years ago in mid-july for 2 nights. It was one of the neatest places we ever stayed. By that I mean the location is fantastic. It is surrounded by the mountains and on a gorgeous lake. The cabins are modern but woodsy style, 2 units upstairs and 2 units on the first floor. They are probably 10 years old, so they are modern with fireplaces and small balconies.

The main building has a wonderful gourmet restaurant that overlooks the lake. The food is absolutely wonderful. Make sure you get reservations.

It was 70 degrees one day and the next day it snowed all day so we stayed in our room with the fire going while we drank wine and read.

One of the neatest places we ever stayed. Quaint, lodgy, remote.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the recommendations. I've made a reservation at Deer lodge, but now I'm having second thoughts. It sounds to me as though Emerald Lake Loge would really suit us better, although it is more expensive. We'll see . . . .
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 03:06 PM

They are totally different--Emerald Lake is secluded--out in the woods. They take your luggage to the room in a golf cart. No cars allowed.
Deer Lodge is very nice, but right on the road to Lake Louise, so not secluded at all; however, it looks very comfortable--just not as much of an overall "experience". The bedrooms of the cabins at Emerald Lake are small--but you have a whole cabin, with living area and fire place as well as a small deck.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 06:16 PM

We stayed in Deer Lodge some time ago and it suited us fine. I remember sitting in the hot tub on the roof while it was snowing (in summer!). It is behind the Chateau L. Louise, so you can walk to the Chateau in moments and avail yourself of all the trails and amenities of L. Loiuse, including enjoying the Chateau itself, for way less money than it would cost to stay in the Chateau itself. There's a nice trail with lovely vistas up from the lake to a "tea house" where you can enjoy a warm drink before heading back.
While the area is less secluded than Emerald Lake, Lake Louise is lovely and Deer Lodge is in a superior location.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 09:53 PM

I have stayed at both Emerald Lake Lodge and Deer Lodge, they are both great...But Emerald Lake Lodge is to die for..The views are incredible, if you are lucky enough to get a room overlooking the lake..Cathedral Mountain Lodge is also beautiful as another suggestion and might be cheaper than the others...But if you go with Deer Lodge, I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Looking back on my writings of late last night, I didn't mean to say Deer Lodge was in a superior location to Emerald Lake. Just that the location is superior, in general. Guess I should have said, superb. Hmm. Better stop doing my late night posts!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I am confirmed at Deer Lodge, and looking forward to a great vacation in the Canadian Rockies!