Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

lake louise inn, deer lodge, yay or nay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of using one of these hotels but the tripadvisor reviews are pretty dismal. Any opinions?
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:39 AM

Lake Louise Inn used to be a hostel before it was a hotel. Its standard rooms are small, although the family loft suites in the new wing are more spacious.

The standard rooms at Deer Lodge are miniscule, and they don't even have phones in them. The Tower Rooms are bigger, and the Heritage Rooms bigger still. The latter two classes of rooms have phones and coffee machines as well.

Lake Louise is a freaking expensive place to stay. You're not paying for the room; you're paying for the location (proximity to premium hiking, etc.) It's a popular place with a limited stock of accommodation.

I am fond of Deer Lodge because I find its quirkiness to be cute. It does not bother me that it does not have an elevator and that the stairs creak. I like it <b>because</b> it does not have an elevator and the stairs creak.

The only good news I can tell you is that I have been hearing anecdotal reports that people who have been calling Lake Louise properties to make reservations, rather than reserving on the Internet, have been getting rates that are substantially lower than the ones that are published on the Internet. And those anecdotal reports include Deer Lodge.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:17 AM

I love the old Lodges - just don't have luxury hotel expectations and you'll probably enjoy it. We're staying there at Deer Lodge. A good place to eat and even a hot tub on the roof - what fun.

Oops, we booked online! Maybe I should cancel and rebook by phone. What do you think?
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
TAW

We stayed at The Mountaineer Lodge in Lake Louise. It was fine and reasonable. If you haven't been to that area before be aware that &quot;Lake Louise&quot; is not really a town...but rather an area near Lake Louise. Not many places to eat (reasonable) in my opinion. We stayed 3 nights and did a lot from there as a base. Ate 2 nights in the local restaurant (OK food) and one meal in Bannf. Then we moved on to Jasper...Heaven in my opinion.