Back from the Beautiful Rockies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from spending 11 days experiencing the gorgeous Canadian Rockies. I have seen lots of pictures of the area, but once you actually get there and experience it yourself, it's so much more beautiful. Thanks to the helpful Fodors' posters here, we were able to plan a memorable vacation.

The weather could not have been more perfect, we only had a few drops of rain one day (about 5 minutes), and it rained one evening. Other than that, it was sunny most of the time. We found it cool in Lake Louise, but as long as you kept a jacket within reach, it was fine.

As others have mentioned, the mosquitos were abundant in Jasper. However, we did not notice any in Banff or Lake Louise.

In Lake Louise, we stayed at Paradise Lodge, in a cute small cabin, #6. It was a bit small, but had a microwave, fridge, coffeemaker, and gas fireplace. The lodge offered coffee, bagels, pastries, muffins, and tea each morning, which was a nice start to the day. There was also a coin laundry on site, which came in very handy (4 washers and 4 dryers).

I would highly recommend the Paradise Lodge, but would probably suggest one of the larger size cabins, if the expense is not an issue.

We were not impressed with the dining choices in the Lake Louise area. Tried the Mountain Inn - yuck. Terrible service and poor to average food. We went for lunch, the place was probably only 1/3 full, and they seemed overwhelmed.

We did not care for Laggans for sandwiches either. Tried them twice, just in case the first time was a fluke. The first morning, they only had roast beef, vegetable, or turkey sandwiches. The second time our choice was either egg or roast beef. Both times we went were before 11 am, so I don't think it was a matter of running out of selections.

We preferred a small sandwich shop in the Samson Mall right beside the grocery store, I forget the name, it was "Timber" something. They will actually make your sandwich, with choice of bread and condiments. Laggans only offered the prewrapped sandwiches.

Spent the first morning hiking up the Fairview Mtn Lookout at Lake Louise at around 5:30 AM (We were still on Eastern time, so it was easy to get up) This was a bit of a tough trail, steep, but not long. Took about 1/2 hour to get up to the lookout for a nice view back towards the Fairmont with the lake in front.

After taking some pictures around the lake, we went back to unpack a bit and grab some lunch for our hike to the Plain of Six Glaciers. What a fantastic hike this was! It was a bit tough at some points, but well worth the effort. You walk through the woods, over streams, the edges of cliffs, gravel pits...it was an ever changing trail. Along the way you will see a bunch of waterfalls and beautiful mountain views. You can also look back at the Fairmont from a distance.

By the time we arrived at the Teahouse, they did not have much left for food (this was about 4 p.m.) If you do this hike later in the day like we did, you should probably bring along your own snacks. I would also recommend hiking shoes for this trail. Many only had sneakers, and we did see some people slip and fall along the trail. It took us about 5 hours round trip for this hike (that was with MANY stops for pictures).

I'll continue with some more tomorrow...need to try to get back to Eastern time for now and get some sleep...
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:28 AM

Great start, Tasha. I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip. We stayed at the Paradise Bungalows, too. It was like a little jewel of a place, don't you think?
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we enjoyed Paradise Lodge and would certainly stay there again. The location was perfect, and the little extras they included added to our stay.

Which type of cabin did you stay in?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:12 AM
fae

We too will be at Paradise Lodge but in the Lodge building itself as they have bigger rooms for our children, 20 & 16 years old. Are the bagels, muffins, etc. you mentioned included in your room rate? If so, that is a great answer for us for light breakfast on those two mornings.

Also, we plan to probably make lunches to allow for hiking during the day but still will need good eating places for evening. Nothing at LL for evening meals that i
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the continental breakfast is for all guests and included in the room rate. The service begins at 8 a.m., so if you're headed out for an early hike, this might be late for you. I believe the food is available until 10 a.m.

As far as dinner is concerned, one night we ate at Timberwolf, which is in the Lake Louise Inn (just down the street from the Samson Mall). This place was fine if you like pizza or pasta. Their other restaurant, Legends, has been recommended on this board as well.

I have heard others recommend Bill Peyto's Cafe, which is aside the hostel, also close to the "mall". We stopped by there one day and checked out the menu, but decided to go into Banff for a meal instead.

Deer Lodge has also received good reviews, I believe this is more of a gourmet type restaurant. Deer Lodge is just up the street from Paradise on your way to Lake Louise.

The grocery store in Lake Louise has very limited offerings, and is extremely expensive. If you can, try to get your food in Banff before heading for Lake Louise.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:57 AM

We stayed in a Cooper cabin. It had a queen size bed (great bed), a pull-out couch (love seat size), a table with four chairs, a nice tv, and a kitchette with a small refrigerator, microwave, sink, and range. The new bathroom was very nice. It even included a full-size claw-footed tub, as well as a stand-alone shower. I wanted a Cooper cabin specifically because they have decks that overlook the valley. We ate out there several times.

I must sound like an advertisement for Paradise Bungalows. It was a very nice, very well maintained property.