EXPLORING ONTARIO AND QUEBEC IN THE FALL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 02:50 PM
dunas_dog

Hi there from Edinburgh in Scotland.

I have booked the following trip for my Mum and I who are visiting Ontario and Quebec this Fall.

25 September- Arrive Toronto for 4 nights at Sheraton Centre."Any recommended city tours, restaurants would be welcome?"

29 September -Collect car and drive to Niagara-On-The-Lake (3 nights at Redwood B&B). Plan time at Falls and touring some vineyards perhaps! " What/where is best way/place to see Falls? Any recommended vineyards or other places to visit in area?"
2 October-Drive Bracebridge (3 nights at Inn at the Falls) "Is it feasible to visit Algonquin National Park for a day? What else should we see/do in this part of Ontario?."

5 October-Drive Picton (2 nights at Merrill Inn)" We will have 1 full day here so I had thought about going to Kingston or Lakes area? Is this a good idea or is there other things we should do?"

7 October-Drive to Ottawa (3 nights at Mid-Towne Heritage B&B) "On leaving Ottawa we have long drive to Quebec City. What is most scenic routing?"

10 October-(Long) drive to Quebec City (3 nights at Le Manoir D’Auteil)" Should I hand car back on arrival or keep it? I thought we might spend one of the days out of the City but perhaps can do on tour bus? Any recommended City tours and restaurants would be appreciated?"

13 October-Travel (by car or train?) to Montreal (3 nights at Auberge Le Passants Du Sans Soucy)" Any recommended City tours and restaurants again would be appreciated?
Likely to give car back in Ouebec so what is best alternative for getting to Montreal. Boat sounds good but I think stops in September? So is train best alternative?"

We want to make the most of our time, see the best scenery (keen photographer)and visit interesting villages and other places on the way to soak up the atmosphere and learn about Ontario and Quebec. Any advice on the itinerary, things we should do/see at our various stops, would be appreciated. I have asked a few questions beside itinerary above. Finally what are temperatures likely to be and will it be getting cooler at night.

Thanks in advance for any advice on any of the above. As I read it I have asked rather a lot but even if you have only one bit of advice that would be really helpful

Kind Regards

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello!
You have a lot of questions that I unfortunately can't answer but here's just a little piece of information regarding Southern Quebec, where I live.

By the end of September, the weather here will be pretty much like the one in Edinburgh (I guess! I've been in Edinburgh in August). 15 to 22 degrees during the day, a bit cooler at night. Usually, September in Southern Quebec is rather warm, sunny and dry (but who knows!) So my best bet would be: dress for Quebec like you'd dress in Scotland. Travelling in Southern Quebec at the end of September is, for me, about the best time to do so. Quieter, cooler and the leaves are turning so the trees are golden, orange and red and the scenery is just amazing.

In Quebec City, I would say keep the car for a day and go tour the Ile d'Orléans, a 45 minutes drive from the City. The 65 km road that circles it is quiet and gorgeous and so full of Quebec's history. You can get an audio guide at the tourist office on the Ile that will tell you everything while you drive. The best way to visit Old Quebec City is by walking it's narrow streets. Wander everywhere, and walk and look and sit for a tea (no scones, but excellent croque-monsieur).

I don't know about a scenic drive from Ottawa to Quebec City but I know that some parts of the drive from Montreal to Quebec City are so beautiful, if you're not in a hurry.

There's a lot more to say about Montreal and villages around and short hikes. I don't want to take too much space in this forum. If you like, email my directly and I'll be glad to reply with more precise information!

Brigitte
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:27 AM

You'll be in Quebec at exactly the right time for fall foliage viewing. Because Quebec is much more mountainous than Ontario, the fall scenery is more spectacular. Your best choices are to take highway 15 north to St. Sauveur (about 40 minutes) or highway 10 east to the Eastern Townships or "Cantons de l'est" (about one hour).
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:18 AM

This sounds like a beautiful trip. Perfect time for spectacular fall colours.

First check out 'Top 5 Toronto/Niagara Falls "Must Dos"' in this forum. There are a lot of good suggestions there. No use repeating it all.

Bracebridge in Muskoka is lovely. Probably about 1.5 hours to Algonquin Park from there, but if the colours are at their peak it will be a gorgeous drive. Be sure to stop off at Ragged Falls on the Oxtongue River just outside the west gate to Algonquin.

Kingston is well worth seeing, but if you're commuting from Picton, you'll have to backtrack. It's about 1.5 hrs drive one way. Maybe stop there when you leave Picton. BTW, the Merrill inn is a great place to stay, and they also have a terrific chef if you want dinner there one night. Picton is near Sandbanks Provincial park. It has wonderful sand beaches and sand dunes. Probably great photo ops. I've only ever been there in summer.

If you want to take a Thousand Island boat ride (should time permit), you can take a shorter trip from Rockport which is east of Gananoque. You don't waste a lot of time getting to the islands as you would taking the boat from Kingston.

Should you have time when you are in Quebec City, and enjoy some low key sight-seeing, take a ferry to Levis. The house of Adolphus (?) Desjardins, who started the first credit union is an interesting place to see. And one night we had dinner at a restaurant on the river. It had a perfect view of Quebec City.

Bon voyage!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Hi there in Scotland. I hope you'll get a lot of response to your questions. I will give you some of my opinions regarding Ontario even though I lived in Quebec (Montreal) for many years. Is your mother able to get around without any difficulty? What does she like to do?

First, you have chosen a beautiful time to visit Ontario and Quebec for fall colours. Quebec mountains and hills are haard to beat, but Ontario is beauiful too even just driving down the Don Valley Parkway. By mid-October you should be seeing the best.

The Sheraton Centre Hotel is well located for walking and hopping on the subway/buses and streetcars so you will be well located for entertainment, dining and sightseeing. I like taking a bus tour that gives me an overview of the a city (when I first arrive) and find it helpful for further explorations. Wait until you get to Toronto and then decide with the help of tourist information what tour(s) you might take. I won't even try to suggest places to eat because I don't know your tastes, but the Sheraton has a restaurant called Le Bifteque where you can get a good meal without venturing out. You can also ask them about sharing a meal for which they charge about $5 extra but you get everything and share the meat -- most people don't need a 16 oz. steak so sharing makes sense.

Niagara-on-the-Lake (NOTL) is a worthwhile visit, close to Niagara Falls. Most tourists do not go beyond the main street to look at the heritage houses. Walk to the park and down to the water (gazebo) where you can view the fort across the Niagara River in New York State that is very close. Take a picnic lunch. I looked at your B&B in NOTL and wonder why breakfast only starts at 9:00 am, rather late for many travellers. NOTL is a very small town that can be covered in half a day, however, you can spend time at the Shaw Festival Theatres and just relaxing.

Going to NOTL to Niagara Falls along the Niagara Parkway is a beautiful drive - a must - so allow yourselves time to enjoy it. There is a horticultural area, a Butterfly Museum, Farmers markets and other sights along the way. A peaceful drive. When you arrive in the Falls area, you will see a huge car park in front of the falls. Follow the signs since the gates to the parking area are a little way off. If the Hop On Hop Off buses are still running, that's a good choice (can't think of the name) but you'll see once there. Since you are arriving late in September, parking should not be a problem.

Be sure to view the Falls from the Canadian side since it's the one you usually see in photos. From this side you also get a good view of the smaller American Falls. Depending on the day and the amount of static electricity in the air, you may see a lot of hair standing on end. If you are tempted to cross Rainbow Bridge on foot (bridge between Canada and US) be careful to have your papers as you might not get back in! Not a joke.

Be sure to go to right to the edge of the falls and peer over; you will be mesmerized so be careful, don't fall in because the survival rate is not that good. We used to live close to the Falls and I never get tired of seeing them. We usually take visitors on the sightseeng boat trip up to the Falls itself (last year $13 for adults). You will be provided with a thin plastic raincoat but be aware that you can get wet depending on where you stand and the weather.

For wineries there are many in the Niagara area. Some have elegant restaurants so ask around to see what suits you.
The Welland Canal viewing area in St. Catharines is interesting if you like canals. I love them and you can find out by phone if and when ships are coming through. They come down the St. Lawrence (you'll be seeing a lot of the St. Lawrence) and down through the lakes, through the canal and into the Great Lakes (Huron). They are from many countries.

The Inn at the Falls looks beautiful and I envy you staying there. The Inn should be able to give you good info about going to Algonquin and other places of interest in the area. I think it's about an hour's drive from Bracebrige to the park and then maybe about 20 minutes to the Info Centre. We were there last year and it was gorgeous. It will be quiet at that time of year. You will want to check on closing dates on the Internet.

Merrill Inn looks very nice. You might like to visit Sandbanks in the area (a park with sand dunes (small ones) very nice; Kingston is worth looking into and there's Fort Henry(?) that puts on some lively displays for visitors It's a university town so school will be in and the area lively.

Although we go to Ottawa fairly frequently, I don't think I need to give you any tips on visiting there because they do it very well. I would suggest a bus tour to orient yourselves, maybe a boat tour. It's a manageable city for tourists. i'm not sure of the best route to Quebec city but may have some info since we are going to Montreal and Quebec city in early September.

Ontario, like Quebec, is a very large province and temperatures will vary by many degrees depending on the weather (which is also variable). Late September can be warm here (or could be cold). I would suggest spring clothing: a jacket for sure, sweater, raincoat would be good if you're driving and have the space. In Toront the business people downtown will be dressed but tourists are fine in jeans, casual clothing, good walking shoes. I'd also suggest bringing a hat and gloves scarf in case you do hit colder weather. And yes, it can get cold at night.

You can write to me at [email protected] and I can send you some interesting websites and a great map of Ontario put out by the province - and it's free!

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:14 PM
BAK

I'm working my way through some Ian Rankin books, and, according to my interpretation of DI Rebus' copmments on Edinburgh, you'll find us less dour.

Do you and your mum have any serious hobbies?

Grey Line have English double decker bus tours, whre you an gt off the bus for a while, visit some interesting prt of town, and catch another bus to move on to another attraction.

Tell us of your favorites types of food -- we can point you somewhere.

And is mum a good walker? Toronto is flatter than Rankin's description of Edinburgh, and is foot-friendly.

Niagara Falls -- it's esy to see the falls. They are just there, five feet from you if you walk along a public sidewalk.

The Maid of the Mist boat trip to the bottom of the falls is mandatory.

More, later....

BAK
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:17 PM
BAK

Can you cahnge your route?

Toronto to Niagara to Bracebridge, through Algonquin Park to Ottawa to Kingston / Picton, then through Montreal to Quebec City, and then back to Montreal.

I suggest this because it gets you to Algonquin Park without the doubling back to Bracebridge, and it solves the problem of getting around Lake Simcoe on the way from Bracebridge to Picton.

Distances in Canada are perhaps different from distances in the UK.

Ottawa to Quebec City isn't all that far, in Canadian highway terms. A couple of hours to Monteal, then a couple of hours from there to Quebec City.

If you were to leave Picton early one morning, say around 8, you'd be hitting Montreal close to noon, and in Quebec City well before dinner.

Quebec City's a wonderful place, but I'd be bored out of my mind there for three nights. Think about stopping on the way somewhere in the Eastern Townships of Quebec province, around Sherbrooke, Magog, etc. This is beautiful territory, loaded with fine accomodation.

I'm a photographer, so if you have photo questions, ask them here and I'll try to help.

From Bracebridge, check out the Segwen steamboat that will take you across some of the Muskoka district lakes.

BAK

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 02:01 PM
dunas_dog

Thanks to all for helpful information.

Planning to follow a lot of the fullsome advice from michi

Following Brigette D's advice now keeping car in QC (look forward to Croque Monsieur with a glass of vino in the Old City)

Is Charlevoix region possible to drive in day trip?

As now driving from QC to Montreal planning to follw Raleigh_NC's suggestion of going via Eastern townships so advice on driving route would be appreciated?

As suggested by BAK I have changed route to go to Ottawa from Bracebridge through Algonquin (I take it there is only one routing?)and then on to Picton. Perhaps will mean some "retracing of steps" going north from Picton to QC, passing near Ottawa again, but allows us more time in Kingston/Rockport area for stop on way from Ottawa to Picton as suggested by Jec_1.

BAK-if you enjoy Rebus try the Skinner books written by Quintin Jardine http://www.quintinjardine.com/quintinjardinehome.htm

Again detective books set in Edinburgh. Not quite as dour as Rebus! I am going to see Ian Rankin at Edinburgh book Festival next week, a stone's throw from the Oxford Bar.

Any other advice from fodorites on trip would be appreciated. As well as above suggestions on good Italian, French or Fish resaurants in Toronto, QC or Montreal, any theatre shows that may be on, towns to visit for local arts and crafts and best places for enjoying the scenery.

Many thanks

Regards

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Hello Michael,

I've just sent you maps for Ontario, Quebec, Toronto and our subway system. I think that will help. Since you seem to have planned your itinerary very carefully, this will give you a chance to see distances, etc., and make changes if necessary.

I will keep in touch by email.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 06:23 AM
SF

If you like theatre, I'd definitely try to see a play while you're in Niagara on the Lake. The Shaw Festival is top notch. It will be less expensive(and more likely to have tickets available) if you try to go on your first night in town since it's a Thursday.

SF
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 09:12 AM

I am suggesting an alternate direct route from Bracebridge to Picton/Kingston, that avoids backtracking and takes you through some nice routes.

Drive through Algonquin Park Hwy 60, to the east exit/gate. The road goes south, cut off to Hwy 127. Hwy 127 becomes Hwy 62, a direct route south, a good double lane highway, passes Belleville and drops you off at Picton.

From Picton one can take the scenic waterside route to Kingston #33 or cut back to the superhighway 401. Depending on the route taken, how fast you drive probably takes 1+ to 2 hrs. Ask about the small ferry to Aldolphustown (not sure if it's still there). Stop at Lake on the Mountain, I understand it's worth seeing. You can take Hwy 2, once the main highway between Montreal and Toronto is quite nice. There is pretty countryside around Gananoque/Thousand Islands.

Continue on to Ottawa main cut off. Divided highways between Ottawa and Montreal. Good highways to Quebec City but not sure which is better.

As for maps & info, I am out of them but can post some websites especially if you are visiting Niagara and Toronto. I'll leave Quebec to others but can answer some basic questions - especially what route not to take when driving into downtown Montreal from Toronto. I lived there for 30+ years!

Cheers.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:00 PM

We just returned from most of those places and would love to go again. As for you the photgrapher - I shot 98 rolls of 24 exposure in 16 days. You? There is plenty to catch the photographers eye.

Toronto we did Bata Shoe Museum and Yamato Japanese Steak house back room cook at the table flaming onion bit, and CN Tower with on the back side Toronto Hot Dog Cart feed the pigeons bit. I would recommend the same especialy Yamato. What caught my eye but we did not do was the electric street cars (buses) I would have liked to just to say I did as the are a relics from the past in my country (USA) The traffic can be very bad. Cheveron symbols are painted on the street to guage distances and warnings all over saying more or less to drive with your head but all of it is ignored by enough drivers to make it dangerous. I know you have plans but I suggest you scrap much of Toronto and up the dates for everything else to fit in Tadoussac after Quebec City instead. It is awesome. And for the photographer...! One of the most beautiful bays in the world, to get there you go through a United Nations Biosphere reserve, Montmorency, Canyon Sainte Anne, whales, etc. Do internet research of the region and Tadoussac and then ponder.

I would recommend that you cut back on the NOL time and stay over on Clifton Hill Quality Inn. Just walk outside and there you are. NOL is cool but perhaps a bit slow for 3 nights. If you cant-oh well the drive is not that long just get up earlier and go to bed later. Best way to see the falls is take the people mover to the end (Butterfly conservatory-Floral clock) and work your way back to Table rock point. Seeing also whitewater walk, Maid of the mist, lunch on Clifton Hill, JBtheF and Minolta Tower. The wait time may be 1 1/2 hour for Journey behind the falls. Enough to take the inclined railway across the street to the top, and walk to Minolta tower for the view. This should take pretty much all day. And all night if you throw in the amusments on Clifton Hill. Definately do the FX Thrill ride motion simulator in Great Canadian Midway. It is an awesome roller coaster ride. Cant imagine a better orchestrated FAKE ride. Way more "real" than the one in CN Tower in Toronto. I think the people mover starts running 8am but check. Everything humms along nice until the wait for JBtheF.

I checked and re-checked what to find stuff in between Toronto, Kingston, Montreal and Ottawa. I am a bit leary of "Nature" alone I need civializations influence to add interest. I really found nothing to compel me. Per your comment "so I had thought about going to Kingston or Lakes area?" Kingston seems to me to be a happening place. Both times it was stepping out so to speak. Do the internet research for the time you will be near and you might find it worth your time.
Ottawa Sound and Light show is awesome do not miss it! If is still going on in the fall. Changing of the Guard is worth the time. The cat/wood chuck/squirrel sanctuary is neat behind the buildings. You have quite a bit of time there so definately do the Bus tour from Sparks street mall after Changing of the Guard.. Jump on and off anytime at the sights to see - ticket good for 2 days as I recall. Byward market is a happeing place, just on the other side of the Chateau Laurier. Tour Chateau? I do not know. I stayed there so did not have to do the tour. Worth it? I'm not sure. The Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City makes the one in Ottawa look like a motel. With your time you should be able to get a real good taste of the Nations Capital.

I would not consider the drive to Quebec City "real long" long but not bad. Definately take the bridge to the south shore and town of Levi just before getting to QC driving along the north shore. Take the Levi ferry for $10.00 to make a visually memorable entry to the City. Very worth the trouble!
QC 3 nights = great. Do all the interpretation centers. Efficient and well worth the time and cost. Do the Chateau tour and then explore it further. One room we saw was $700.00 per night. Very impressive place - could say a lot more. Do the usual tourist sights. DO FIND THE CHEAP EATS PLACES LIKE SUBWAY SUBS. By this time you may be sick of eating so much in the tourist feeding areas. And paying high prices. They are not far or hard to locate. One thing I wish I would have done more of was to spend more time exploring the neighborhoods out side the Jean Gate- Youville area. And then headed over to the battle fields park region. If you cannot fit in Tadoussac the consider driving out to Montmorency and Canyon Sait Ann. not far - make a 1/2 to 3/4 day of it. If you want to ditch the car in QC then do this side trip first, then turn the car in, because I believe I read of a good no problem train to montreal but did not personally take it.

Montreal No offese to you but so many people comment about boats between these 2 cities. It is a 3 drive at 70 mph (metric KPH=?) So forget the boat. If you want to do a boat thing then do the Luchiene rapids boat in Montreal if still operating. Montreal is a big city and a tourist destination you should have no trouble piecing together stuff to suit your interest via the internet.

A very diligent internet research of your interests should get you all the answers you need. I was surprised by very little during my trip that was not revealed via the internet. ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU ARE GOING IN THE FALL AFTER THE TYPICAL TOURIST SEASON. Too bad the fireworks competition will have ended. Do a lot of internet poking around! I found the region and the people to be wonderful and almost problem free.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:26 AM

Hi Sobolik,

An interesting view of your travels and another way of looking at things -- food for thought and to consider what pleases a person when travelling. When travelling in Australia recently we chose to forgo Ayers Rock (Uluru). In China we did not take the Yangtze cruise that most take, choosing instead all land travel. So skipping Toronto, Canada's largest city could be an option for some especially if one is used to seeing big cities in North America. To each his own.

What area of the world are you from?

A correction for those who might look for the place: it's "Lachine" Rapids and not "Luchiene" Rapids.

wherever you go have a good time.

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:47 AM

The 148 between Ottawa and Montréal is slightly nicer than the Ontario side. Nothing spectacular. The 138 is the most scenic direct route between Montréal and Québec. Going through the Eastern Township would be nice too but it's a detour. Personnally, I would leave Ottawa before sunrise and drive past Montréal as quickly as possible and then drive on the 138 or inland in the Lanaudière région, then through La Mauricie park. You'll be there in peak fall colors.

Taking the bridge and enter with the ferry is a good idea, though it's a bit of trouble just to enter the city. If you don't do this, you can still walk on the ferry for a good view of the city. It is best lit in the morning. Stay on the ferry so you pay for one-way only or pay for both ways if youwant to photograph forma more stable platform (you'll need a long lens).

I think it's worth keeping the car for a least a day or two and drive east. Click on my name and see #15 "Advice for 2-3weeks for Québec in august". I'll just add that october 10th is peek Snow Goose migration in Cap Tourmente.