Search

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.........

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Ike
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.........

I will be visiting in September on a hunting trip but several of us will spend 3/4 nights in Edmonton. What do you think is the best hotel in the city. $$$ is no problem. I personally believe the Fairmont might be our best best from what I saw on Trip Advisor.

What restaurants would you recommend for very fine dining and/or places with a more relaxed casual atmosphere. Thanks.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Since money is no object, then you might as well stay at the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald...it's the nicest hotel in the city...good enough for the Queen!

As far as restaurants, you'll be on Jasper Ave so you'll have a ton of choices from Hardware Grill, which is close by, to Il Portico or the Copper Pot or Madison's at Union Bank Inn which are all further down Jasper Ave. You're across the river from Whyte Ave which has a lot of choice as well, especially ethnic restaurants.

No offense, but I hope you go home empty handed...we like our wildlife where it is!
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Definitely stay at the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald.

The dining suggestions from loru100 are great. We also love to have the schnitzel at the Cafe Praha - short walk from the Hotel MacDonald.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 07:32 AM
BAK

Haven't thought of Cafe Praha in years. Used to drink coffee there late into the evening back around 1978.

BAK
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Definitely Fairmont.

A really good and more creative restaurant than most is Il Cucina. I had their lamb shanks braised in lentils with a spicy tomato sauce recently; my husband had the steak with chocolate blue cheese sauce and dirty potatoes. Very tasty. Small place so intimate yet casual.

The Red Ox Inn is lovely albeit a bit pricey but consistently serves great meals in a great atmosphere.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:38 PM

I also second Fairmont Hotel MacDonald, a beautiful historic hotel.

For restaurants, I like Hy's Steak House (right downtown), Four Rooms (City Centre Mall), La Tapa Spanish Restaurant (around 106 St and 99 Ave) and Allegro Italian Restaurant (around 109 St and 100 Ave). For Asian food, I like Kyoto (west of 109 St) and Tropika (on Stony Plain Road west of the city).
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:05 PM

For fine dining - Characters, Hardware Grill, Il Portico, the Harvest Room at Fairmont Hotel MacDonald, and if you travel a little out of the way (although not easy to get to because of road/transit construction nearby) there's Jack's Grill.

Casual dining - lots to choose from, try searching:

www.edmontondining.com/

edmonton.foundlocally.com/Dining/

http://where.ca/edmonton/

If you'll be hunting please take some of our deer, which seem to be expanding exponentially in numbers and are often grazing beside the highways and can cause damaging accidents.