Seattle & Victoria & ?

Search

Seattle & Victoria & ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle & Victoria & ?

My husband & I are flying into Seattle on Tuesday Sept 23 and renting a car. We fly back home on Thursday Oct 2. We are in our mid-60s.
We are meeting old friends in Everett on the night of our arrival for dinner, but other than that, we have made no arrangements. Since we visited Seattle last year, from what I have read on this site Vancouver Island sounds like it should be our main focus. Should we spend the entire week on the Island or should we also include Whitbey Island, Vancouver, or some of the other islands? The more I read, the more confused I have become. Sounds like we need a month!
I am also concerned about the ferry. Does the ferry from Anacortes go to Victoria or to Sydney? Would Anacortes be the best place for us to take the ferry since we'll be staying in Everett our first night?
Finally, I'm curious..... Has anyone gone without reservations other than for the first and last night of their trip and made them as they went along? I'm not sure I'm that brave, but it would be nice to leave our options open if we see that we love a location and would like to stay longer. We did that in Europe years ago. We used our Fodors book and just called for reservations along the road.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM

The ferry from Anacortes goes to Sidney, which is considered part of the greater Victoria area - it's about 30-40 minutes from downtown.

I would think at the end of September, when you're travelling, you'd be safe without reservations. In the summer it's a totally different story. We travelled across the country 3 years ago when we moved out here to Sooke, near Victoria, leaving Toronto on Sept. 16th. We took 9 days to do the trip and made each reservation a day ahead; we were travelling with our cat and needed pet-friendly accommodation. We had no problems finding hotel rooms.

You can easily spend a week on Vancouver Island and not see everything there is to see. However, you might also enjoy Saltspring Island or one of the other Gulf Islands; they are easy day trips from Victoria. We haven't been to Whidbey but it looks quite lovely from what I've been reading about it.

You could take the ferry from Anacortes, or you could drive from Everett to Vancouver and take the ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay in Victoria. Be prepared for long-ish waits at the border, though. Other than that, it's a pleasant enough trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM

After your evening with your friends in Everett, spend the night and then take the ferry from Mukilteo to Clinton on Whidbey Island. Spend the rest of the day exploring Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands and spend the night in Anacortes, ready for the first ferry the next morning. Vancouver Island could easily take a week or a month to explore, choose your itinerary carefully so you can make it back to Seattle for your flight out.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
BAK

Are there still Boeing tours in Everett?

If so, that's what I'd do.

And I'd plan a circle.

Seattle to some ferry boat in Wasington to somewhere on Vancouver Island (I arrived in downtown Victoria when I did this trip years ago).

From Victroria, north on Vancouver ISland to Duncan.

Ferry to Horseshoe Bay, on the main land.

Visit Vancouver.

Vancouver to Seattle by land.

BAK
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 08:06 PM

The Boeing tours were still on last time we were there. Best to reserve on that as soon as you know what time you'll want to go.

We stayed in Mukilteo and took the ferry from Anacortes. You could include lovely San Juan Island on your way to or from Sidney. I prefer that island to any of our Canadian Gulf Islands. We made reservations both ways.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the ideas. I don't think we are going to be able to include Vancouver in our itinerary this trip.

So that leads me to ask if there are just two ways to get to Vancouver Island from WA, either via Anacortes or Port Angeles?

Secondly, if we were to ferry from Anacortes with our rental car and stop at the San Juan Island, would it then be possible the next day to reboard the ferry for Sidney? If so, would this be terribly expensive?
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:18 AM

Yes, you can only get to Vancouver Island from WA with a car through Anacortes or Port Angeles.

You should be able to reboard the ferry on San Juan for Sidney the next day, but why not spend a full day, or two or three, on San Juan Island? I wouldn't make the stop if I didn't have time to see the island. No, it shouldn't be very expensive. If only gets expensive if you, say, go from Sidney to San Juan Island and back. If I remember correctly, in that instance, you are paying to go Anacortes whether or not you go there.

It would probably be best to phone the Washington State Ferries as their website is somewhat baffling.