Eastern Townships Lodging???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hola again! Yep, still planning on Quebec skiing for 3/25-4/10.

Can you savvy Fodorites suggest some CHEAP Hotels/Motels, Lodges, etc. that would be "central" for driving to Owl, Orford, Sutton, and Bromont.
3/27 Owl
3/28 Orford
3/29 Bromont
3/30 Sutton
3/31 Back to Orford (unless others are better)

We'd like someplace that offers a FULL Breakfast Buffet, dinner we'll explore.

Got a good Package at La Maison Hatley, but it seems the nicest Town is Magog???

Read a nice review on Auberge Schweizer????

Merci!

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 05:58 PM

My family went to Sutton several years ago. I don't remember any great lodging..we stayed in a condo that we got through tourist brochures. All of the mountains you mention were an easy drive. I think my family liked Orford the best and enjoyed the skiing. Did you get the official brochures from the Province of Quebec that cover the eastern townships? My recollection is that they had lists of all of the lodging options. The Quebec website is a good place to start. You should be aware that there isn't much else to do. Magog is the big town, Lac Brome, also known as Knowlton, also had shops.
We didn't go back to the townships for skiing in subsequent years because of the lack of other things to do, lack of restaurants, etc. We have gone to Tremblant several times and find more variety there.

Check to see if Jay Peak in Vermont still accepts Canadian dollars at face value to pay for lift tickets, etc. at US prices. When we were there, it was a great savings. It was a bit of drive to get to Jay peak..maybe an hour or so.

My husband and I went back to the townships in the summer and had a wonderful time bicyclng and enjoying the beautiful surroundings. We stayed at the Manoir Hovey and had an amazing room and amazing food for a fraction of what it would be in the New York Suburbs where we live.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Tks Redwood27. We've been to Tremblant, this trip is more about new places and exploring the french side of Quebec.

I'll look into that brochure, I presume web page is Quebec Tourism???
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Bonjour,

I live at 20 minutes from Orford. Skied there a few time each season. If you want some nice restaurant and lively town; I sugget that you stay in the Magog Aera.

www.tourisme-mempremagog.com

Bon Voyage
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 06:12 PM

sorry for the link:

www.tourisme-memphremagog.com
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Avoid Sherbrooke and Lennoxville. Magog is pretty awesome and unfortunately I can't think of any hotels off the top of my head.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Tks Townshipper and pointofnoreturn!

Will probably stay in magog, most people have high praise for it.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:15 AM

My husband & I stayed at Maison Hatley on the way to the east coast. I don't know anything about skiing but Maison Hatley was nice... decent... nothing exceptional but comfortable & good breakfast.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Our family is traveling to Mont Orford this weekend (2/2-6). We got a great deal at Hotel Cheribourg for skiing, breakfast, and what looks like a beautiful room. I will let you know next week what we thought! Also, you might want to look at www.easterntownships.org It was very helpful to me.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Tks librarylady, pls review when you return, hotel & mountain s'il vous plait!

Enjoy!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Just returned, unfortunately, from our Mont Orford ski weekend. It was wonderful! Mont Orford was a great skiing choice for our family with varied skiing abilities. My husband and eldest son are an expert skier and snowboarder, respectively, and they found lots of challenging runs. The rest of the family enjoyed some easier slopes. The lodge is typical. Quite large with lots of cafeteria-type tables where everyone seemed to leave all their belongings without worry; A cafeteria, a bistro-bar area. Everyone was very friendly, even if they could not understand our English.
Since we were traveling with kids, we opted for the Yahou package through the Hotel Cheribourg. It included lift tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids under 12, plus breakfast. It wasn't super cheap, but it wasn't horribly expensive either. We had a mini-suite with a living area (pull-out couch, plus a roll-away for the kids)with a fireplace, a kitchenette stocked with toaster,plates, etc., a bathroom with a whirlpool tub, and a bedroom for us. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. After skiing all day we enjoyed the indoor heated pool, large hot tub area, and sauna. There was also a game room with foosball, air hockey, etc.
We only ate out in the evenings since breakfast was included, and we fixed lunchs in the kitchenette to take to the mountain (which was only a five minute drive, by the way.) We all had a great time and HATED to come home! I asked my husband if he would go back to ski there again, and he said, "Definitely!". Enjoy!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Merci! Great report, makes Orford a must in Townships (and Ówl´s head for 1 day). Your hotel seems just what we need.

Which mountains would your husband compare to Orford, skiing-wise?