COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Skiing with the kids

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Skiing with the kids

We are planning a Christmas ski trip with three kids (16, 12 and 10). Would appreciate any advice re best ski resorts or accommodations that are unique but reasonable. Would consider anywhere in the U.S. Thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:11 AM

Are you looking for East Coast or Rockies? If getting on a plane isn't a problem, you may want to look at Mt. Tremblant in Quebec, about an 1 1/2 from Montreal. Although the US dollar has fallen versus the Canadian dollar over the last year, your money can still go a bit further.

If you are driving from somewhere in the East, Stowe in Vermont is a nice little town with some great skiing.

While it is highly unlikely that the rates on the Euro will return to the levels of a few years ago, from NY it was actually cheaper for me to go skiing in France a few years ago than it was to go to Colorado.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:17 AM

I would recommend Colorado for your trip, specifically Breckenridge. It has
a real victorian town that is beautiful during the winter. The Breck ski resort is family friendly and you are close enough to do day trips to ski Keystone, A Basin and Copper Mtn. You can also enjoy tubing at Keystone in Summit Cty in the evening and maybe try dogsledding. Ice skating is available also, as are sleigh rides. Lots to do and see.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Yev

Im not sure where you want to go, but if you want to go East, then the choices are simple. You can got Lake Placid, which is very nice, Vermont (any place there is nice, but the farther up north the better) or Quebec. Quebec would be cheapest, as I found a Days Inn (Cowansville, QC) there not too far from the mountains, for $40 a night during the Christmas week. Lake Placid, would be second as the amount of hotels, and motels around is quite large, while Vermont would be a bit more expensive. Also the Quebec place is not too far (hours drive) from Montreal, so if u get tired of skiing u can go to the city. The trails are good at all these places.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:35 AM

If you're looking for more of a family friendly resort type atmosphere, I hear smuggler's notch in Vermont is very good.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Elmiller you are smart to start planning now. In Colorado most reasonably priced places will be booked by Sept. Agree with Abud, Breck or Keystone. I think that Keystone was rated pretty high for families but Breck is more of a town and has more things happening around the holidays. They are just a few min apart though. You should take a look at www.summitnet.com for information on the area. I know I allways suggest this site. I like it because it is not operated by a resort. For the resort pages look at www.snow.com
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Steamboat also rates very high for families in several women's magazines. Here is a website I found that has useful info for skiing with kids. http://www.kidznsnow.com
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 10:21 AM

We ski Breckenridge all the time - but never at Christmas. The crowds are unreal!... If skiing is the #1 thing you are going for - avoid Breck. If it's the entire Christmas experience - I'd include it. If it's the skiing you want - and you want Colorado - and you're good, I'd do Vail. You can really get lost out in the back bowls. I'm not sure I'd consider Colorado skiing "reasonable" - esp. at Christmas.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:15 AM

Julie your right on- forgot how terrible the crowds were at Breck during the holidays. We skied Keystone last Xmas and never waited in a line, at Breck we waited 45 min just to get the shuttle from the parking area! Vail is good too due to the restrictions on season pass holders. But then again it is going to be pricey. You have said "reasonable" what is your budget? If you want to conserve funds on lodging in Summit County, first rent from owners direct! You will save anywhere from 20-40%, Secondly consider one of the towns that are not a resort proper but within minutes to all of them. Frisco, first then Dillon or Silverthorne.
Elmiller you might look at Utah as well, though my expeierence is that it is more costly than Colorado though less crowded. A bit of a trade off.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:19 AM
gc

Try the Mad River Valley in Vermont!

Sugarbush is under new, local management and is a great resort spread across two peaks with 2600 feet of vertical and over 100 trails.

Just up the street is Mad River Glen. If you are all sliers, you'll appreciate the fact that snowboards are not allowed on the hill. It's a classic old New England mountain with historic trails that all converge on a compact and quaint base area....meaning it's tough to lose the kids!

There's plenty of on mountain lodging as well as B&B's throughout the valley.

And, if you feel the need to get to Stow for a day, it's about 20 miles up the road.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:22 AM
gc

That would be skiers, not sliers...

http://www.madrivervalley.com/
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:24 AM

I have to give a recommendation for my state. Mt. Bachelor in Oregon is a good mountain for skiing and also has a tubing run.

There are many places to stay nearby from a rental house to a resort. Personally, I love Sunriver. It is a village resort with both houses and condos. We always rent a house, saves on buying meals plus that hot tub and fireplace is very inviting to come home to. It is about 1/2 hour from the mountain. Also has things to do when you aren't skiing.

There is also Inn of the Seventh Mountain which is more of a condo type place but they offer kitchens. Bend is close and offers more accomodations.

Oregon is relaxed and casual, great for kids. It isn't a place you have to be able to afford all the best equipment and clothes to fit in.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:24 AM

Big Mountain in Northwest Montana.
Never crowded,freindly folks,lotsa snow,lotsa choices on runs.
For more info
www.bigmtn.com
Happy trails
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:09 PM

gc you jogged my memory, sometimes I forget about the small areas. In Leadville there is a wonderful "family" resort Ski Cooper http://www.skicooper.com no night life not much around but reasonable and never ever crowded. If you are an advanced skier take a look at Snow Cat skiing for 225.00 a day it is a cheap "heli ski" day. If any are beginners or have not skied in awhile it is a great place to spend that first day. Cheap lift tickets, cheap lessons, free parking! Not sure I would stay in Leadville longer than that.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 03:05 AM

If you decide to take SaraLM's advice and try the Bend,OR area to ski at Mt. Bachelor, you MUST take a day and go skiing at Willamette Pass. One of the undiscovered jewels of NW skiing and also one of the few places in the Northwest where you can do a lot of glade skiing. Willamette Pass is friendly, has VERY good skiing (in early winter), minimal lines, and a nice lounge for relaxing. I've gone skiing there during Christmas week and it was pure joy to ski down through the trees in fresh powder and then have NO lift lines--just right back on the lift. Great views of Odell Lake as well from the lifts and the slopes.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 06:04 AM

Another vote for Mt Batchelor!!! Been there four or five times. Inn of the Seventh Mt is very nice. Good restaurants in Bend. Fly into Portland and it's about a two hour drive, or fly into Bend.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 06:15 AM

I think the snow and the weather in the best are better than in the east. Another very family friendly resort in Colorado is Winter Park.

There's a wonderful place to stay called Timber House Lodge. Breakfast, afternoon snacks, and dinner are included, which makes it incredible relaxing. It's been family owned for two gernerations, and attracts the nicest, friendliest guests. Yoiu get driven to the hill in the morning and can ski back in at the end of the day or get picked up. Accommodations range from rooms with private bath to dorms for the kids, with several variations in between.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 07:52 PM

UTAH! I'd stay in Park City/Deer Valley/Canyons area. Spend a night an SLC and go hear the Mormon Temple choir sing Christmas carols.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:30 AM

This past winter I was lucky to ski Breckenridge, Vail, Stowe and Lake Placid. For skiing, in order best to least, I liked Vail, Stowe, Lake Placid and then Breckenridge. Breckenridge was very crowded, to the unsafe point I thought. I loved Vail and Stowe. Vail is much larger with a much varied terrain but Stowe was great also.
Have fun!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:13 PM

If money is no object, I would choose Aspen. Colorado skiing, IMHO, is the best in the country...sorry if I offended anyone.

Aspen actually has four seperate mountains, including Snowmass, which is huge (has 4 peaks) and lots of runs for the entire family. Also, if you want, you can leave your skis in lockers overnight so that you don't have to carry them back and forth everyday. If you want to change mountains, simply notify the staff the day before, and your skis will be shipped for you and will be waiting for you at the new mountain for a nominal fee ($5?)

Last, just cant beat the selection of bars and restaurants. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO