Reload this Page >

Eastern Provinces - Quebec

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Lynne

Any suggestions for a day or 2 in the Eastern Provinces between Derby Line and Quebec City?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Lynne

Please help with this if you can.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Susan

I think you probably mean the Eastern Townships, not provinces. (Canada has 10 provinces, Quebec being one of them.) I've not been there yet, but we've booked a couple of nights in North Hatley on our way back from Nova Scotia in September. I know there's some really upscale places there. <BR><BR>Keep in mind that your post was sent about midnight last night - I'm sure you'll hear from someone today.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Louis

Here’s what I would suggest :<BR><BR>Day 1 : <BR><BR>Derby Line: I-91 becomes Autoroute 55 in Quebec.<BR><BR>Get off A-55 at Exit 21 : Visit Coaticook River Gorge Park. Quite spectacular. (www.gorgedecoaticook.qc.ca)<BR>Get back to A-55 and take exit at 19 to North Hatley (Route 108 east). North Hatley is a very picturesque village by Lake Massawipi and a nice place to spend the night. Several B&Bs, inns and good restaurants. If you want to splurge (still cheap in US dollars!), have dinner at world famous Auberge North Hatley and even spend the night there.<BR><BR>Day 2 :<BR>Take route 108 East towards Stornoway. At Stornoway, take 161 south to Lac M&eacute;gantic. On your way there, you can drive to top of Mt M&eacute;gantic. There is an observatory (telescope) that is open to visitors. The view is very nice. Have a lakeside lunch at Lac M&eacute;gantic.<BR><BR>From Lac M&eacute;gantic, Take 204 east towards St-Georges-de-Beauce. From then on, you will be following the Chaudi&egrave;re River Valley. This is the route that Benedict Arnold (before he turned his coat) took in the ill-fated attempt by Americans to take Qu&eacute;bec from the British in the fall 1775. Picturesque villages and nice vistas along the way. If you’re interested in churches, the one in St-Georges-de-Beauce is very nice (and huge!). From St-Georges-de-Beauce, follow route 173 north to Quebec City. Nice vistas. Vall&eacute;e-Junction is a nice village along the way<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Lynne

Yes, I did mean eastern townships! Thanks for the correction and Louis, thanks for the advice. THat is exactly the information I was hoping for!