Quebec Family Vacation

Search

Quebec Family Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quebec Family Vacation

We are bringing our 2 French immersion teenagers (13 &amp; 15) to Quebec this summer - one week between Quebec City, Montreal and Ottawa and one week travelling in a motorhome. I have reserved the Hilton in Montreal and Chateau Laurier in Ottawa based on recommendations from this board but I need accomodation advice for Quebec City please. My son would love to stay at the Chateau Frontenac but it is just too expensive - somewhere nearby would be great though.<BR>Can anyone suggest a route for the camping trip? We have been told to head to New Brunswick/PEI (we're from BC and probably won't make it back east again for quite some time) however I think that may be more driving than my husband wants and we really do want to get the kids speaking french as much as possible. The Gaspe area sounds nice but perhaps a little remote? <BR>
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:01 AM

You don't have to go all the way NB or PEI. Here's a beautiful 6 day trip down river from Quebec City. If you're driving a motor home, you'll find plenty of accomodations along the way:<BR><BR>Start in Quebec City and cross the river to the south shore. Follow route 132 east. Do not take A-20. Stop in Kamouraska. Beautiful area (one night). Next day, head towards Le Bic National Park, which just before Rimouski. The scenery is beautiful and the Park is very well organized for motor homes. Come back towards Rivi&egrave;re-du-Loup and take the ferry to St-Sim&eacute;on. Check the schedules. Get there a good hour ahead of time. Crossing takes 65 minutes.<BR><BR>From St-Sim&eacute;on take route 170 to Anse St-Jean. Beautiful village by the Saguenay fjord. You could spend the night there.<BR>Next continue on 170 to Chicoutimi, cross the river and follow route 172 towards Tadoussac. Along the way, Ste-Rose-du-Nord is another beautiful village by the fjord. You can make a 3-hour cruise on the Saguenay there. Absolutely beautiful. Continue to Tadoussac and spend the night. Next, take ferry towards Baie Ste-Catherine (you don't have to worry about schedule, there is one every 15 mins.) Take 138 west towards La Malbaie. At La Malbaie, take route 362 west towards Baie St-Paul. Very, very scenic drive on 362. Spend the night in Baie St-Paul. Route 138 west will then take you back to Quebec City.<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:02 AM

You don't have to go all the way NB or PEI. Here's a beautiful 6 day trip down river from Quebec City. If you're driving a motor home, you'll find plenty of accomodations along the way:<BR><BR>Start in Quebec City and cross the river to the south shore. Follow route 132 east. Do not take A-20. Stop in Kamouraska. Beautiful area (one night). Next day, head towards Le Bic National Park, which just before Rimouski. The scenery is beautiful and the Park is very well organized for motor homes. Come back towards Rivi&egrave;re-du-Loup and take the ferry to St-Sim&eacute;on. Check the schedules. Get there a good hour ahead of time. Crossing takes 65 minutes.<BR><BR>From St-Sim&eacute;on take route 170 to Anse St-Jean. Beautiful village by the Saguenay fjord. You could spend the night there.<BR>Next continue on 170 to Chicoutimi, cross the river and follow route 172 towards Tadoussac. Along the way, Ste-Rose-du-Nord is another beautiful village by the fjord. You can make a 3-hour cruise on the Saguenay there. Absolutely beautiful. Continue to Tadoussac and spend the night. Next, take ferry towards Baie Ste-Catherine (you don't have to worry about schedule, there is one every 15 mins.) Take 138 west towards La Malbaie. At La Malbaie, take route 362 west towards Baie St-Paul. Very, very scenic drive on 362. Spend the night in Baie St-Paul. Route 138 west will then take you back to Quebec City.<BR><BR><BR>
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Louis for your wonderful detailed reply. This is exactly the type of information we were looking for.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:58 PM

Louis has proposed the perfect motorhome trip and I totally agree with his suggestions except I would go up to Gaspe after The Bic Provincial Park. The camping in Gaspe is great (Forillon Park) and there is lots of things to do there. You are coming all the way from BC, you must absoluetly see the Roche Perce!

Keep in mind that the Gaspe region is bilingual but Rimouski, Bic and small towns on the north shore are French if you kids want to practice their French. (hotel and Restaurant staff are bilingual)
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 09:10 AM

Yes, the Gaspe is nice, but IMHO not worth the long drive. The scenery in Charlevoix (the north shore) and the Saguenay is just as nice.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 11:04 AM

Louis -

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on that; Gaspe has so much more history then Charlevois and is where the first Canadians sat foot in Canada. The Rocher Perce is a landmark that should not be missed... It's like going to Calgary and not see the Rockies!