Search

Eastern Ontario

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eastern Ontario

Hello:

Which is one of the prettiest small towns in Eastern Ontario? Merrickville, Gananoque, Smiths Falls etc. Thanks for helping.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 05:10 PM

I would vote for either Merrickville or Perth myself. Merrickville has lots of cute little stores as well as a beautiful location on the Rideau.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 06:28 PM
BAK

I did a book of photographs of interesintg Ontario towns, and the eastern ones were Picton, Merrickville, and Perth.

All were fine places to photograph.

BAK
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 07:20 PM

BAK, is that book available at bookstores? My sweetie loves books like that - I might want to get it for him for Christmas.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 07:45 PM

Perth and Merrickville are by far the most picturesque towns in Eastern Ontario, and certainly worth a visit.

Smiths Falls has a nice park on the Rideau Canal, an interesting Canal museum, and the Hershey Chocolate Factory,but I wouldn't describe it as pretty. Gananoque's main attraction is that it is on the St. Lawrence and is the starting point for boat tours of the Thousand Islands. It also has a couple of good restaurants.

Other attractive towns are Almonte, Manotick and Brockville. As BAK mentions, Picton is also quite an interesting town.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 10:21 AM

ttt just to draw my question to BAK's attention.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 11:44 AM
BAK

My book, which is called Going to Town Architectural Walking Tours of Ten Ontario Towns, is, I believe, out of print.

It was written by Katherine Ashenberg, and I took all the photographs. Publisher was Macfarlane Walter and Ross, which has been dissolved, and what stock there is is now held by McClelland & Stewart. I believe a book store could order it, and it is still in the Chapters computer in Canada. I think it's around $20.
There are probably some copies in book stores in the towns, too. The premise of the book is that you go to a town, park your car, and start to walk. It has maps, and houses and other buildings are described, giving some history and drawing attention to particular details. Maybe every fifth or sixth building has a photograph, so you can keep track of where your feet are in relation to the page number in the book.

The towns are Merrickville, Perth, and Picton, Coburg and Port Hope, Niagara on the Lake, Paris, Stratford, St. Marys, and Goderich.

Every town has a Tim Hortons, which turned into my operations center. Easy parking, decent food, good coffee, a donut or two, and a place to wait yuntil the sun moved to the other side of the street, or, more often, the rain stopped. Ain't easy shooting 600 houses.

Anyway, the book is a lot of fun for people who like old buildings. Take your own camera, too. There were lots of interesting things to shoot that were not included in the book.

My favorite towns? Probably Goderich, because of the lake and the hub and spoke downtown, Picton, and Merrickville, because of the river.

BAK

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Thanks, BAK! I will definitely follow that up. We will be moving to BC next year and in the meantime we've been doing some exploring through Ontario, so that we can take some memories out there with us. I was born in Toronto, but my sweetie is originally from Vancouver and finds small-town Ontario fascinating. I got him a book of photographs of old Ontario houses a few years ago and he loves it - yours might be a good addition to the library.