Detroit to Quebec City

Search

Detroit to Quebec City

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detroit to Quebec City

This summer my husband and I are doing a Detroit to Quebec City road trip. We will spend most of our time in Montreal and Quebec City. But, we are looking for neat towns to stop in between Detroit and Montreal. We are in our late 20's and interested in unique local attractions and cute B&Bs. One note about the B&Bs, though - I love them and the whole idea of them, but hate to sacrifice my privacy, so prefer something that is not too intimate (i.e., > 3 rooms). Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:13 AM
ron

Stratford (Shakespeare Festival) and Gananoque (1000 Islands) are the two towns with B&Bs in grand Victorian homes that come to my mind. No specific recommendations since it has been half a dozen years since I have visited either place.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 11:24 AM

I agree with Ron about 1000 Islands.

We stayed there 2 years ago at the Ramada Inn in Gananoque. The owner has a lot of artifacts worth seeing in the restaurant. It's not a B&B but we ended up staying longer because we enjoyed the place so much.

If you go, ask to stay in the newer section.

Richard
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 12:02 PM
BAK

If you have not seen Niagara Falls, you should, and you should ride on the Maid of the Mist boat to the bottom of the falls.

Between Detroit and Toronto, "neat towns" include Stratford, Paris, and St. Marys. All have lots of interesting architecture, and all are small enough to walk around it.

And Niagara on the lake,half an hour from Niagara Falls, is another walk-worth neat town.

On the other side of Toronto, Port Hope and Cobourg are both worth a visit.From there, continue east either on the main highway (401) or highway 2, down by the water, to Prince Edward County (neatr Trenton.) This county is an island, and Picton is worth visiting.

From there, continue across the county to Glenora and take the ferry to the mainland, and continue along the edge of the lake to Kingston.

Gananoque (see above) is just the other side (east) of Kingston.

On the way back from Montreal, stay northish, and route yourself through Ottawa, Merrickville, Perth, and Smith Falls.

That'll give you your fill of neat towns, big cities, nature, urban sophistication, and more.

Have a good time.

BAK
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 02:15 PM

On your way from Detroit, right off the 401 in Ingersoll before Toronto)is the Elmhurst Inn. It does a nice lunch and has an interesting barn filled with handmade crafts.