September weather in Banff

Jan 6th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

September weather in Banff

Can anyone tell me what kind of average day and nite temperatures and weather to expect in Banff during early to mid Septmeber. Am planning a trip for Sept 2004 and hoping it will still be good hiking weather. Thanks for your help
Jan 6th, 2004, 10:36 AM
ltt

it should be great hiking weather. days will probably be in the low-mid teens (celcius). nights will be cool. best to bring cloths that layer well. if the sun is out it will be nice but if it rains or is over cast, the temps could drop down low. great time to visit the mountains.
Jan 6th, 2004, 10:45 AM

September is a beautiful time to visit Banff.
The deciduous trees should be blazing in golden autumn colors; the temperatures will be not hot and not cold. . . ahem!! although it has been known to snow in September!!, but normally won't stay around long, and if it does snow, it is usually at the higher elevations, while rain falls in the valleys. It could go the other way too - there could be a hot spell.
Normal temps range from freezing (or slightly below) at night to about 18C = approx 65F during the usually sunny days.
It should be perfect for hiking.
Jan 6th, 2004, 11:05 AM

To augment what the previous poster have told you......

Bring sensible hiking boots, woollen socks, long underwear, sweater, cap, gloves or mittens and a jacket. If you have enough other layers on, then a 3 season jacket should be enough in even the coolest weather September is likely to throw at you.

I like the waterproof, fleece-lined jackets that Lands' End, LL Bean and Eddie Bauer sell. I prefer the slightly longer jacket that covers my butt to the shorter, bomber-style jacket that comes down to my waist only.

But bring a short sleeved T-shirt too, in case the weather is warm.

Restaurants in the mountains are quite casual. In even the fanciest restaurant, smart casual dress is adequate for dinner. In the more casual restaurants and pubs, jeans, chinos or corduroy pants are fine.
Jan 8th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Go to www.weather.com, do a search, then click on "averages", then the month you are visiting.

Just before leaving, check the 10-day forecast for finalizing your packing.

Even so, be prepared for warmer/cooler. The weather is SO variable, you cannot even count on the morning forecast on the TV in your hotel room.

Therefore, it's always best to pack the ubiquitous "layers". Along with an umbrella. And, gloves, too, just in case. And, warm socks...
Jan 8th, 2004, 09:11 PM

Djkbooks, I agree with all of your advice, except:

>>>>>>Along with an umbrella.<<<<<<

This would be impractical along forest paths, IMO. But I'm glad you mentioned the umbrella, because it reminded me of an omission in my list. Waterproof pants that are worn over regular pants or over long underwear would be a good idea. A hooded jacket also would be a good idea. I think a hooded waterproof poncho would work fine too.
Jan 9th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your input! It was very helpful.
Jan 13th, 2004, 02:00 PM

I was in Banff in mid-September 2002. The people who were leaving when I was arriving had spent the entire begining of the month in shorts and tank tops (or so they said). It very nearly snowed the week I was there. But still hikable.

Prepare for anything.
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:27 PM

Yes it is entirely possible to have both snow and very hot weather in September in Banff (and the rest of Alberta too).

September is a "transition" month in terms of seasons, and that usually means there will be a bit of summer, a bit of fall, and maybe even a bit of winter. The daily "high" temperature drops steadily throughout the month, and the first frost (at night) usually occurs sometime during the first two weeks.

"Daily averages" (or "mean temperatures") can be deceiving because they do not give you an idea of the daily temperature ranges (for example assuming a "normal distribution" of temperature readings, daily temperatures ranging from a high of 68F to a low of 50F will give the same average as temperatures ranging from a high of 86F to a low of 32F).

For Canadian locations it is better to use Canadian rather than "foreign" weather sources, so check out:

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html