Driving conditions mid-May, Vancouver to Banff

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to those who offered advice on my itinerary from Vancouver to Banff, much appreciated.

I am just wondering what the driving conditions will be like in mid to late May when we are driving from Vancouver to Kelowna, Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff and back to Vancouver. We are not experienced in driving in icy/snow conditions and I am hoping these would have passed by mid-May.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Those of us who've lived in the area aren't experienced in driving on ice and snow in May either!!

Seriously, it would be highly unlikey to encounter winter road conditions in mid-May. But you know, weather is pretty hard to predict and I suppose there's a remote possibility you'd encounter some ice around Jasper or on the Rogers' Pass.
There will likely be some of the white stuff beside the roads in the high mountain areas, but not ON the roadways, unless there is a freak storm.
We drive Vancouver to Calgary all the time, even in January, and while it's very icy in the depths of winter if there's been a recent storm, usually even at that time the part of the road you drive on is clear.
One year there were snowflakes descending in July!! But melting on contact.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:41 AM

There is always a possibility that there will be a late spring snowstorm in the Rockies in mid to late May, but chances are small. So you might see snow along the Icefield Parkway (Jasper to Banff), but most of it will be by the side of the road, or at higher elevations (above the treeline), and will probably be "leftover" snow from the previous winter.

Jasper is at a lower elevation than Banff, and although it is further north, it is drier and warmer than Banff, and you are more likely to see snow in Banff and especially in Lake Louise.

You might encounter fog at the higher elevations of the Coquihalla and Coquihalla Connector highways (Vancouver to Kelowna).

Happy trails!!!