2 weeks Vancouver-Banff-Jasper-Vancouver

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks Vancouver-Banff-Jasper-Vancouver

Hi, myself and 5 others are heading over to Vancouver in May (2013) for 2 weeks.

We've set ourselves a rough outline of spending a couple of days in Vancouver, heading to Banff and Jasper for 10 days and then heading back to Vancouver (we naively booked return flights from Vancouver instead of Calgary). I've noticed a few similar topics but I'd imagine some things are season specific so thought I'd ask for people's thoughts on what they think would be the best plan of attack and maybe some tips on things to see that guide books might miss out. Also I think some things take longer (or are quicker) than you think and I don't want to schedule too much/too little. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 07:48 AM

I have not been to Vancouver but you will get a lot of information here on Vancouver. I would love to visit that city.

I have not been to the Canadian Rockies that early in the season. I did ski there in late March so I am thinking there may still be ice on the lakes and some trails may not be open. I am not sure when the road opens to Moraine Lake.

It would be good to do 2-3 nights in Banff or Lake Louise, spend the day driving the Icefields Parkway and 2 or 3 nts. in Jasper.

Since you have a limited time, you could probably fly RT Vancouver to Calgary and rent a car to do the Rockies portion of your trip.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 09:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think you will have snow issues in Banff that early.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

I don't think we realised that May would be so 'wintery'. It was booked in a bit of a rush by my in-laws so I don't think too much research went into the dates. I guess they though like here (in the UK) the climate in May would be mild. It's late May so maybe we'll get lucky.

Any ideas what would be a good alternative to Banff and Jasper? We've booked to fly in and out of Vancouver but haven't booked anything else yet so we are still flexible plan-wise. Thanks.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM

Shame to miss our Rocky Mountains but there are wonderful coastal mountains and the sea..Vancouver Island and the west coast of same are awesome..May in Banff can be coolish, very pleasant or hot..Weather is a crap shoot in Alberta. I have been here 60 years and have seen snow in all months except July and that month has presented awful hail..This last May it was very warm and lovely. Don't fret the weather..bring a sweater, light jacket and your sun glasses and sun screen..For anywhere in Western Canada in the Spring, Summer and Fall..Roads in the national Park will all be open unless we have a very heavy ampount of snow and then only a very few high elevation roads may be difficult, but you are unlikely to be on them. Vancouver to Banff will require an overnight probably in Kamloops(most direst and quickest route)and on the way back to Vancouver you may want to do the Yellowhead route..Same mountians but different vistas. You will love our beauties..Watch out for resv. if you will be here for our May long weekend..Summer vacations will not have started yet and schools will not be out until the end of June so you should not have too much trouble. If you cannot afford to stay at Banff Springs, Lake Louise, or Jasper Park Lodge Hotels you must stop in for a drink and wander around..outstanding. On the other hand if you google Fairmont Hotels you may find some surprising deals..You never know!!
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 08:37 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/cana...ver-jasper.cfm

maybe this will give you some ideas of times and whats possible..we were doing this in june..and it was cold in banff and jasper but hot in nelson

it was really nice for me to dip down to the usa on the way back...but we exited via seattle to get down to san fran