Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your favorite place to stay in Nova Scotia?

Jan 11th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

We're thinking of a trip to Nova Scotia in July, and I'm having a huge problem trying to make a decision of where to stay.

One part of me wants to stay in a cottage with ocean sounds.

The other part of me wants to stay in Lunenburg or a small town

At the moment I'm looking primarily on the southern coast, but Cape Breton is not out of the question.

Also, are there nasty biting bugs in NS in July?
Jan 11th, 2013, 03:38 PM

I personally like the cottage with ocean sounds - but within a relatively short drive to a small town with a restaurant or 2, groceries and other conveniences. Most of the towns outside of Halifax are small and if you're planning a stay of more than a couple of days you'll probably be using them as a base for daytrips anyway.

My favourite destinations are Cape Breton and the South Shore. Slight preference for Cape Breton (gorgeous!).

Biting bugs are possible although we've been lucky in our visits, never intolerable. Near running fresh water (e.g. rivers & creeks) be aware of black flies during the day, and mosquitoes are possible in woodlots, wetlands and in the evening (but tend to not like sun or wind too much). It's a good idea to carry insect repellent just in case.
Jan 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM

Depending on who's in your party, if you're looking for something different and fun for a couple of nites, try the Tatamagouche Train Station Inn. I've stayed there before and as you can guess, the "rooms" are all self-contaied rail cars, lovingly renovated/refurbished.

The breakfast was served in what used to be the Waiting Room, tho the ladies and gents sides were no longer separate

It's in a beautiful area, and there are seemingly endless very wide and well maintained trails. We had some great long runs beside the waterway, crossing over old rail bridges, etc. It's been a few years so the details may have changed a bit, but the surrounds will still be lovely.

Enjoy-la!
Jan 11th, 2013, 06:09 PM

Hi wrenwood,

I've only been to NS once but would second mat's recommendations.

Cape Breton's lovely and I'd highly recommend it not to mention Lunenburg, Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove in addition. When it comes to black flies, a general rule of thumb is to avoid wearing dark colours. With mosquitoes, you're most likely to encounter them when things are still; you can never go wrong with insect repellent.

HTH
u
Jan 12th, 2013, 04:35 AM

My personal preference is the south shore of N.S.; although Cape Breton is indeed beautiful. On the south shore you can stay in Queensland or Hubbards area and not be far from Halifax, or go as far as the town of Liverpool where there are two hotels; newly renovated White Sands or the Quarterdeck that are right on the ocean. To check for cottage rentals, I recommend you obtain the "Doers and Dreamers" guide of N.S. The towns of Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, and Bridgewater are not far from the ocean and are easy to travel between. Even if you stay in Queensland area it is probably a 20-25 minute drive to town of Lunenburg.